UKRAINE: U.S. ARMY TROOPS JOIN SOLDIERS FROM THE UKRAINE AND MOLDOVA "COOPERATIVE NEIGHBOUR 97" NATO EXERCISESRecord ID: 639618
- Title: UKRAINE: U.S. ARMY TROOPS JOIN SOLDIERS FROM THE UKRAINE AND MOLDOVA "COOPERATIVE NEIGHBOUR 97" NATO EXERCISES
- Date: 8th July 1997
- Summary: NEAR LVIV, UKRAINE (JULY 8, 1997) (RTV) 1. SV UKRAINIAN ARMOURED PERSONNEL CARRIERS DOWN ROAD 0.08 2. SLV UNITED STATES (U.S) TROOPS MANNING MOCK CHECKPOINT 0.14 3. SLV/LV U.S.TROOPS YELLING FOR PERSON APPROACHNG CHECKPOINT TO STOP/ GUARD AT CHECKPOINT FIRING OVER HEADS OF APPROACHING MEN 0.26 4. U.S TROOPS ORDERING MEN TO LAY ON THE FLOOR/CHECKING MAN FOR CONCEALED WEAPONS/RUNNING WITH MAN BEHIND CHECKPOINT (3 SHOTS) 0.48 5. SLV/SV HELICOPTER LANDING, MOLDOVAN AND UKRAINIAN SOLDIERS TAKING THEIR POSITIONS AND FIRING IN MOCK ATTACK (2 SHOTS) 1.08 6. SLV SOLDIERS RUNNING ALONG ROAD 1.14 7. SLV/SV TANK FIRING/ SOLDIER FIRING RIFLE 1.30 8. SLV/TRACK UKRAINIAN TROOPS "ARRESTING" MAN 1.37 9. WS TROOPS IN FIELD FIRING 1.46 10. SLV U.S. TROOPS IN GROUP 1.52 11. SV U.S. ARMY LIEUTENANT RICHARD WINDFIELD SAYING THIS IS THE FIRST TIME WE'VE EVER WORKED WITH EASTERN EUROPEAN COUNTRIES AND FOR A LOT OF THE GUYS THIS IS THEIR FIRST TIME TO EUROPE (ENGLISH) 2.00 12. SLV/SV GREEK GENERAL MANUEL MANZANE, COMMANDER OF THE MILITARY EXERCISES SAYING EUROPE BELONGS TO ALL THE NATIONS OF EUROPE NOT ONLY THE NATO NATIONS (ENGLISH) 2.14 13. VARIOUS OF UKRAINIAN COMMANDOS TRAINING (3 SHOTS) 2.33 Initials S3,P3 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVADSMWE6VTKWR0UG4H9ZUQFDBQI
- Location: NEAR LVIV, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Duration: 00:02:33
- Story Text: - INTRO: U.S. army troops joined forces with Ukrainian and Moldovan soldiers on Tuesday (July 8) for joint military exercises.
Joint manoeuvres in central Europe have reached their final stage as the NATO summit in Madrid consideredadmission of new members into the defence alliance on Tuesday (July 8).
Fourteen military units from NATO countries and members of the Partnership for Peace Programme exercised near theCarpathian military base in Western Ukraine.
The exercises, codenamed "Cooperative Neighbour 97", allow both land and air forces to practice joint actions while conducting peacekeeping operations.
The joint manoeuvres were proposed at NATO's 1994 summit in Brussels.
The two-week long wargames included medical evacuation training, humanitarian assistance and convoying.
The commander of the exercises, Greek general Manzane said the units of the former Soviet republics of Moldova and Ukraine demonstrated a clear ability to fight to NATO standards.
Russia, one of the first members of the Partnership for Peace, did not send its forces to the exercises.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:23rd July 1997 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None