- Title: GERMANY: THE LARGEST CHRISTMAS CAKE IN THE WORLD OPENS THE
- Date: 3rd December 1994
- Summary: DRESDEN, GERMANY (DECEMBER 3, 1994) (RTV - AVAILABLE ALL) 1. GV CROWD IN CITY CENTRE 0.05 2. SV BAKERS WALKING 0.12 3. SV CATHERINE VON FUERSTENBERG-DUSSMANN, ACQUAINTANCE OF U.S PRESIDENT BILL CLINTON, WITH BOX OF CAKE FOR HIM 0.16 4. SV/PAN CAKE UNVEILED ON CARRIAGE (2 SHOTS) 0.28 5. SV MAN AND CHILD AND PUPPET DRESSED AS BAKERS 0.31 6. GV/SV CARRIAGE LEAVING CARRYING CAKE AND BIG KNIFE/ SV BIG KNIFE (3 SHOTS) 0.54 7. HAS,GV CAKE IN MARKET SQUARE/PAN SUROUNDED BY CROWDS (2 SHOTS) 1.03 8. SLV BAKER WITH KNIFE/SV PHOTOGRAPHER/BAKER CUTTING CAKE (3 SHOTS) 1.25 9. SV/ZOOM-IN WOMAN EATING CAKE (2 SHOTS) 1.30 10.SV SEVERAL BAKERS CUTTING CAKE/PEOPLE CLAMOURING FOR CAKE (3 SHOTS) 1.38 11. SV ANOTHER WOMAN EATING CAKE 1.43 12. CATHERINE VON FUERSTENBERG-DUSSMANN SAYING "THIS PIECE IS IS FOR PRESIDENT CLINTON." (ENGLISH) 1.46 13. SV CLINTON'S CAKE BOX/CRANE DOWN TO SV VON FUERSTENBERG-DUSSMANN WITH BOX OF CAKE FOR CLINTON/CAMERAMAN, PHOTOGRAPHERS (5 SHOTS) 2.02 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA2EP6HD857DENDMDXHX4J5W1TH
- Location: CHRISTMAS SEASON IN DRESDEN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Duration: 00:02:12
- Story Text: The Christmas season arrived in a big way in Dresden on Saturday (December 3) as what was claimed to be the largest Christmas cake in the world - weighing a remarkable two and a half tonnes (2,400 kilogrammes) - was paraded through the town.
The Christmas cake (Weihnachtsstollen), according to the Dresden festival organisers the biggest ever made, measured 4 meters long, 1.65 meters across and 0.70 meters high and is a speciality of the region.
Accompanied by the 60 bakers in traditional costume the oversized cake was ceremoniously transported through the city by horse-drawn carriages to the Christmas festival, the "Striezelmarkt".
The cake was then cut into 4,000 portions and sold for 5 deutsch marks (3 U.S. dollars) per portion. To simplify the sale, anyone who wanted to buy a portion had to buy a "Stollenthaler", a symbolic coin, which could then be exchanged for a piece of world-record cake.
The proceeds of the sale will go towards the restoration of the "Frauenkirche", Dresden's world famous church which was destroyed at the end of World War Two.
A large piece of the cake was also cut and packed to be sent to U.S. President Bill Clinton. Catherine von Fuerstenberg-Dussmann, an acquaintance of the Clinton family, explained that the President enjoyed some of the traditional cake last Christmas.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:18th December 1994 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None