TURKEY: THOUSANDS OF TURKS PROTEST ITALY'S DECISION TO RELEASE KURDISH GUERRILLA LEADER.Record ID: 639641
- Title: TURKEY: THOUSANDS OF TURKS PROTEST ITALY'S DECISION TO RELEASE KURDISH GUERRILLA LEADER.
- Date: 22nd November 1998
- Summary: ANKARA, TURKEY (NOVEMBER 21, 1998) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. GV/PAN: (NIGHT PIICTURES) CARS PASS BY THE ITALIAN EMBASSY IN ANKARA AS PEOPLE WAVE FLAGS 0.07 2. SV/MV: PEOPLE SHOUTING SLOGANS (2 SHOTS) 0.16 ANKARA, TURKEY (NOVEMBER 22 1998) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 3. GV/PAN/MV: (DAY PICTURES) CARS PASSING THROUGH PEOPLE CARRYING FLAGS IN FRONT OF THE ITALIAN EMBASSY (2 SHOTS) 0.26 4. MCU: WOMAN CARRYING HER DEAD SON'S PHOTO 0.29 5. GV/PAN: CROWD DEMONSTRATING IN FRONT OF ITALIAN EMBASSSY/ VANS DRIVE PAST (2 SHOTS) 0.41 6. MCU: ANOTHER MOTHER CARRYING HER DEAD SON'S PHOTO 0.46 ISTANBUL, TURKEY (NOVEMBER 22 1998) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 8. MV: MARTYR MOTHERS ASSOCIATION IN TAKSIM SQUARE/ WOMAN ADDRESSING CROWD (2 SHOTS) 0.50 9. CU/MCU: VARIOUS OF MOTHERS CARRYING PHOTOS OF THEIR DEAD SONS (6 SHOTS) 1.17 13. SV: WOMEN MARCHING 1.25 14. SV: MAN CARRYING WREATH TO TATURK MONUMENT 1.32 15. MV: WREATH BEING LAID 1.37 16. CU: (SOUNDBITE) (TURKISH) HAMZA ARSLAN, BROTHER OF A MARTYR, SAYING "The United States that handed the PKK leader and Italy that accepted him, just like (with reference to Turkish sayings) 'Hold the hunting dog and let the rabbit run', and now the same United States that forces Italy to hand him back to us, will give an account for all." 1.50 17. GV: PEOPLE MARCHING TO ITALIAN CONSULATE 1.57 18. MV: SECURITY AT THE ENTRANCE OF THE CONSULATE 2.02 19. GV: DEMONSTRATORS ARRIVING AT ITALIAN CONSULATE 2.08 20. CU: CONSULATE SIGN ON WALL 2.13 21. GV: SECURITY AT EMBASSY 2.18 22. GV/MV: ASSOCIATION OF YOUNG TURKS MARCHING TO THE CONSULATE (2 SHOTS) 2.30 23. TV: CROWD IN FRONT OF THE CONSULATE (2 SHOTS) 2.40 24. GV: CONSULATE FLAGS 2.46 25. SV: PEOPLE LOOKING AT ITALIAN GOODS IN SHOP WINDOW 2.51 26. GV/TILT: VERSACE SHOP IN NISANTASI DISTRICT WITH A BLACK WREATH HANGING IN WINDOWS 2.56 27. GV: BENETTON SHOP WITH TURKISH FLAG HANGING OUTSIDE 3.00 28. GV/CU: BLACK RIBBON HANGING IN BENETTON SHOP WINDOW (2 SHOTS) 3.10 29. CU/GV: ITALIAN FLAG IN SHOP WINDOW WITH BLACK CROSS THROUGH IT (3 SHOTS) 3.28 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA1CC583SFMCB51TCKNG555E3GF
- Location: ISTANBUL AND ANKARA, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Duration: 00:03:29
- Story Text: Thousands of Turks have taken to the streets throughout
Turkey to protest against Italy's decision to release Kurdish
guerrilla leader Abdullah Ocalan as the Turkish government hit
back by barring Italian firms from any Turkish defence
A popular movement of protests and boycotts of Italian
products continued throughout Turkey on Sunday (November 22)
as thousands took to the streets with flags to protest against
the Rome's Court of Appeal's decision to overrule Turkey's
request for Ocalan's arrest.
In Ankara thousands of people staged a protest outside
the Italian consulate.Waving Turkish flags the protesters
shouted anti-Italian slogans and watched as cars drove by as
part of a drive-by protest.
In Istanbul hundreds of women took to the streets to
protest against the Italian court's decision.Women from the
Association of the Martyr Mothers brandished photos of their
sons who they claim were murdered by Ocalan.They listened as
protest leaders condemned Italy's decision.Protesters also
laid a wreath at Ataturk's Statue in Taksim as members of the
Young Turks Association marched to the Italian Consulate
In central Istanbul Italian shopkeepers demonstrated their
support for the protesters by hanging black wreaths and
ribbons in their windows.One shop placed a large black cross
over Italian flags.
The Italian court on Friday released the Kurdistan Workers
Party (PKK) leader but ordered he remain in Rome in case
Germany seeks his extradition.An arrest warrant for Ocalan
was issued in Germany in 1990.
Ocalan is kept under house arrest in Rome exclusively
because of a warrant issued by Germany.
Ocalan is Turkey's most wanted man, charged with the
murder of over 30,000 people.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:7th December 1998 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None