USA: JAGUAR UNVEILS THE CONVERTIBLE VERSION OF ITS LATEST MODEL THE XK8 AT NEW YORK AUTO SHOWRecord ID: 639644
- Title: USA: JAGUAR UNVEILS THE CONVERTIBLE VERSION OF ITS LATEST MODEL THE XK8 AT NEW YORK AUTO SHOW
- Date: 4th April 1996
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (APRIL 4, 1996) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SVS JAGUAR XK8 CONVERTIBLE BEING UNVEILED (3 SHOTS) 0.20 2. MCU JAGUAR CHAIRMAN NICK SCHEELE EXPLAINING WHAT SETS THE VEHICLE APART FROM THE COMPETITION, SAYING YOU NOTICE IT'S A GORGEOUS CAR, EVERYBODY WANTS TO DRIVE IT, IT'S SIMPLE AND ELEGANT, WITH AN UNDERSTATED STYLE THAT I THINK WILL CARRY IT FOR MANY YEARS (ENGLISH) 0.47 3. SLV THE SUZUKI X90, ONE OF THE SMALLEST VEHICLES ON DISPLAY 0.55 4. SV STRETCH LIMOUSINE, ONE OF THE LARGEST VEHICLES ON DISPLAY 1.00 5. SLV A RED CONCEPT CAR FROM FORD 1.06 6. SLV A CONCEPT RACING CAR FROM OLDSMOBILE 1.14 7. SVS A FORMER CONCEPT CAR FROM CHRYSLER WHICH IS NOW BEING PUT INTO PRODUCTION BECAUSE OF PUBLIC DEMAND AND WILL SELL FOR ABOUT $35,000 USD (2 SHOTS) 1.26 8. MCU DON SCHMID FROM CHRYSLER SAYING THE CAR (PROWLER) HAS GONE FROM BEING A CONCEPT VEHICLE TO A PRODUCTION ONE BECAUSE OF OVERWHELMING PUBLIC RESPONSE AND THE PROWLER WILL COME OUT IN 1997 (ENGLISH) 1.44 9. SV A "FORMULA MITSUBISHI" RACING CAR 1.52 10. SV THE NEW "MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE SPIDER" CONVERTIBLE 1.59 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVAEGZ4CYJ83ZD11R8GS7Y2LPRZL
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:02:00
- Story Text: INTRO: A new sports car from Jaguar looks set to steal the honours at this year's New York Auto Show which begins on Saturday.
-------------------------------------------------------------------- British car manufacturer Jaguar unveiled the convertible version of its latest model, the XK8, in New York on Thursday (April 04).
The four-litre, V8-powered car, replacing the company's long-running XJS series, is said to be the spiritual successor of the legendary E-type Jaguar sports car and will go on sale in October.
Jaguar expects the new convertible to account for around two-thirds of its estimated 12,000 worldwide sales in 1997, its first full year on the market.
Jaguar chairman Nick Scheele said the "drop dead gorgeous" looks and snappy performance of the XK8 should make it attractive to younger car buyers.
He said no firm price had been established for the car, but thought it would retail somewhere between $60-80,000 usd (40-53,000 pounds).
More than a million people are expected to attend the New York Auto Show to view the latest on offer from the car industry.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:19th April 1996 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None