FRANCE: FRENCH TOURIST INDUSTRY WANTS SAFETY GUARANTEES FROM EGYPTIAN AUTHORITIES BEFORE SENDING TOURISTS THERERecord ID: 639658
- Title: FRANCE: FRENCH TOURIST INDUSTRY WANTS SAFETY GUARANTEES FROM EGYPTIAN AUTHORITIES BEFORE SENDING TOURISTS THERE
- Date: 18th November 1997
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (NOVEMBER 18, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SLV CHAMPS ELYSEES, CLUB MED TRAVEL SHOP 0.05 2. SV CLUB MED ENTRANCE/ EGYPTIAN TOURISM OFFICE 0.08 3. SLV SYNDICATE OF FRENCH TOUR OPERATORS PRESIDENT, CESAR BALDERACCHI, IN OFFICE 0.14 4. CU EGYPTIAN TRAVEL AGENTS ASSOCIATION MEDAL 0.17 5. MCU BALDERACCHI SAYING "WE WOULD LIKE OFFICIAL GUARANTEES FROM EGYPTIAN AUTHORITIES, TO KNOW IF WE CAN CONTINUE TO SEND TOURISTS TO THIS MARVELOUS COUNTRY. THIS IS A STATE ISSUE, A POLITICAL ISSUE. AS TOURISM PROFESSIONALS, WE ARE ABSOLUTELY NOT ALLOWED TO TAKE THE RESPONSIBILITY TO SEND TOURISTS WHO COULD BECOME TARGETS BECAUSE TERRORISTS REALLY TARGET THE TOURISTS IN EGYPT" (FRENCH). 0.48 6. MCU BALDERACCHI SAYING: "WE HAD A MEETING WITH THE QUAI D'ORSAY (FOREIGN AFFAIRS MINISTRY), THE MINISTER OF TOURISM, THE MINISTER OF TRANSPORTATION AND THE PROFESSIONNALS OF TOURISM, THOSE WHO PRECISELY HAVE EGYPT AS A DESTINATION, TO KNOW EXACTLY WHICH IS THE POSITION WE ARE GOING TO TAKE NOW AND IN THE FUTURE" (FRENCH). 1.06 7. SV/CU TRAVEL AGENCIES WITHOUT EGYPT POSTERS IN WINDOWS (4 SHOTS) 1.27 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA3JLOJDT1Q4SRQT52KPIDHCJ1A
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Duration: 00:01:26
- Story Text: - INTRO: The French tourism industry wants to receive safety guarantees from Egyptian authorities before deciding whether to continue sending tourists to that country.
The president of the Syndicat National des Agences de Voyages (French National Travel Agency organisation) on Tuesday (November 18) called for Egypt to give safety guarantees before more tours can be sent to the country.
Cesar Balderacchi said the issue was not for tour operators alone to decide, as it involved the French foreign ministry and political issues.
Balderacchi said he was unsure of the plans for an international travel agents meeting which had been planned for January in Luxor.
Egypt's biggest Islamic militant group said on Tuesday it had carried out the Luxor attack in which nearly 60 tourists were shot or hacked to death. One of those who died was believed to be French.
In Luxor, 500 km (310 miles) south of Cairo, hundreds of shaken tourists, waited in buses at the airport to catch early flights home.
The Egyptian interior ministry said at least 58 foreigners, including Swiss, Japanese, British, Colombian, French and Bulgarian nationals, and four Egyptians were killed in Monday's carnage.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:3rd December 1997 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None