DOMINICAN REPUBLIC: 40 PEOPLE FEARED TO HAVE DROWNED IN SHIPWRECK CAUSED BY ROUGH SEASRecord ID: 639673
- Title: DOMINICAN REPUBLIC: 40 PEOPLE FEARED TO HAVE DROWNED IN SHIPWRECK CAUSED BY ROUGH SEAS
- Date: 12th October 1996
- Summary: CABO ENGANO, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC. (OCTOBER 12, 1996) (RTV-ACCESS ALL) 1. SLV/SV SURVIVORS LYING ON BEDS IN HOSPITAL (3 SHOTS) 0.24 2. CU CIVIL DEFENCE DIRECTOR EUGENIO CABRAL EXPLAINING WHAT HAPPENED (SPANISH) 0.53 3. LV/SV FAMILY MEMBERS STANDING AROUND COFFINS (6 SHOTS) 1.27 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVAEMJ4L07BHE1Q64ZYQ2OH1OIYR
- Location: CABO ENGANO, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
- Country: Dominican Republic CARIBBEAN
- Duration: 00:01:29
- Story Text: INTRO: Rough seas have been blamed for the sinking of a ship in the Caribbean Sea, with up to 40 people feared drowned.
About 40 people were feared to have drowned when a boat taking them from the Dominican Republic to Puerto Rico sank on Thursday (October 10) in the Caribbean Sea, Dominican authorities said on Saturday (October 12).
The flimsy boat left on Thursday but sank hours later in rough seas in the Mona Passage between the two countries, Civil Defence director Eugenio Cabral said.
About 60 people set out on the journey and 21 survivors have been found.
Eight bodies -- five women and three men -- had been recovered by Saturday. They were found floating off Cabo Engano, about 190 kms (120 miles) east of Santo Domingo.
Hundreds of Dominicans set out each year to make the 130 kms (80 mile) journey across the passage to Puerto Rico. Many die in the attempt.
Those who reach Puerto Rico then attempt to get to the United States, many on false documents.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:27th October 1996 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None