- Title: CROATIA: U.N. EVACUATE SERBS FROM CROATIA
- Date: 9th May 1995
- Summary: PAKRAC, STARA GRADISKA, AND ZAGREB, CROATIA (MAY 9-10, 1995) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) PAKRAC 1. SV PEOPLE CLIMBING ON TO BUSES/ OLD MAN ON BUS CRYING (6 SHOTS) 0.42 STARA GRADISKA 2. SV CROATIAN SOLDIERS AT CHECKPOINT ON BRIDGE 1.01 3. SV SOLDIERS REMOVING TANK TRAPS FROM ENTRANCE TO BRIDGE 1.06 4. SV BUSES ARRIVING 1.10 5. SV INTERIOR NAMES OF PASSENGERS BEING CALLED OUT 1.18 6. SV PASSENGERS/ BUSES MOVING ACROSS BRIDGE 1.33 ZAGREB (MAY 10) 7. SCU UNITED NATIONS SECIAL ENVOY YASUSHI AKASHI SPEAKING (ENGLISH) 1.56 8. SV CROATIAN SOLDIER ON BRIDGE 1.58 SEQUENCE 7 transcript: AKASHI :"I HOPE THAT OUR PROGRAMME OF ARRANGING OF VOLUNTARY DEPARTURES OF THOSE SERBS WHO WISH TO LEAVE WILL PROCEED TODAY AND WE WILL CONTINUE TO BE VIGILANT ABOUT HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS" Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA6C0PMUD35M5TEMH9QV92K0QP0
- Location: PAKRAC, STARA GRADISKA AND ZAGREB, CROATIA
- Country: Croatia
- Duration: 00:02:01
- Story Text: The United Nations on Tuesday (May 9) began evacuating members of a Serb minority from former rebel territory in Croatia which was recaptured by the army last week.
Two white United Nations (U.N.) buses carrying 72 Serbs from the town of Pakrac crossed a front-line bridge over the Sava River border to Serb-held Bosnia-Herzegovina after Croatian troops cleared it of mines laid to keep Bosnian Serbs at bay.
After hours of red-tape delay, the first evacuation buses rumbled 40 km (25 miles) south to the Stara Gradiska bridge.
The Croatians put back anti-tank barriers at their end of the bridge after the buses passed in the late afternoon.
U.N. officials expect many more Serbs to register in the next few days for the evacuation programme drafted after the Croatian army recaptured the rebel enclave of Western Slavonia.
U.N. envoy Yasushi Akashi said in Zagreb on Wednesday that the evacuation programme for Serbs who wished to leave would continue.
Akashi said tension in Croatia had subsided.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:24th May 1995 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None