- Title: HONG KONG: FIRE BREAKS OUT IN KOWLOON DISTRICT
- Date: 28th June 1995
- Summary: KOWLOON, HONG KONG (JUNE 28, 1995) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SV FLAMES AND SMOKE RISING FROM OLD AMBASSADOR HOTEL BUILDING. (4 SHOTS) 0.50 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVAAQPXD1I49AQK24BYKHLAHYHVA
- Location: HONG KONG
- Country: Hong Kong
- Duration: 00:00:57
- Story Text: Fire broke out in the centre of Hong Kong's Kowloon business district on Wednesday (June 28) afternoon.
The blaze began just before 3pm local time (0700GMT) in the old Ambassador Hotel building which is sandwiched between the upmarket Sheraton Hotel and the downmarket Chungking Mansions backpackers hostel in Tsim Sha Tsui's Nathan Road, also known as the Golden Mile because of the number of jewellery shops there.
The Ambassador Hotel was being demolished to make way for a new high rise block and was empty except for demolition crews when the fire started.
Firefighters fought to contain the blaze and prevent it from spreading to neighbouring properties.
The huge cloud of smoke from the fire could be seen from several kilometres away.
So far there are no reports of death or injuries.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:13th July 1995 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None