TURKEY: A TURKISH WOMAN SUFFERING FROM CANCER APPEALS FOR HELP IN SECURING SAFE FUTURES FOR HER 371 DOGS
- Title: TURKEY: A TURKISH WOMAN SUFFERING FROM CANCER APPEALS FOR HELP IN SECURING SAFE FUTURES FOR HER 371 DOGS
- Date: 15th August 1997
- Summary: TUZLA, NEAR ISTANBUL, TURKEY (AUGUST 15, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. GV OF HOUSE AND DOG HOLDING CAGES 0.05 2. LV DOG HOLDING CAGES 0.11 3. SLV ESIN ELIGUR WALKING TO DOG HOLDING CAGES 0.22 4. CU PUPPIES AT DOOR OF CAGE 0.26 5. CU/SLV OF DOGS IN CAGES (3 SHOTS) 0.46 6. LV/CU OF DOGS IN HOLDING PENS OUTSIDE (3 SHOTS) 1.04 7. MCU ELIGUR SAYING WHEN I SOLD ALL MY FLATS, I COULD NOT THINK OF BUYING A LAND FOR THIS PROJECT. NOW THE ONLY THING THAT I WANT IS TO HAVE LAND FOR THE DOGS. I WANT TO BUILD A REAL DOG SHELTER BEFORE I DIE (TURKISH) 1.23 8. SLV CAR DRIVING INTO COMPOUND 1.36 9. CU SIGN 1.42 10.SV ELIGUR GREETING WOMAN WHO HAS BROUGHT A DOG FOOD DONATION 1.46 11.CU FOOD BEING TAKEN OUT OF CAR BOOT 1.58 12.MCU ELIGUR SAYING I KNOW THAT BRIGITTE BARDOT IS VERY SENSITIVE TO THE FATE OF ALL ANIMALS. SHE AND INTERNATIONAL ANIMAL PROTECTION GROUPS SHOULD MOBILISE EVERYTHING IN ORDER TO PROTECT MY DOGS (TURKISH) 2.11 32.CU ELIGUR WITH BITCH AND PUPPIES (3 SHOTS) 2.25 Initials P3 S3 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA8IATR48D2P6XH8S8VHTUN20KV
- Location: TUZLA, NEAR ISTANBUL, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Duration: 00:02:26
- Story Text: A 61-year-old Turkish woman who is suffering from cancer has appealed for help in securing safe futures for her 371 dogs.
Esin Eligdr, who has undergone 19 major operations in her fight against cancer, spent the last 25 years looking after homeless puppies which she rescued from local streets.
Her hobby led her to take in dozens of dogs, even though she was living in a tiny flat. She ended up opening a shelter for her favorite animals outside Istanbul.
Today she keeps 371 dogs - made up of 47 different breeds.
At the moment, many of the dogs are housed in small cages and pens, but her aim is to provide spaces for dogs where they can run an play freely.
"When I sold all my flats, I could not think of buying a land for this project. Now the only thing that I want is to have land for the dogs. I want to build a real dog shelter before I die", Eligur said.
She has spent all her money on the dogs and is now attempting to find funds for the animals to enable them to stay in care after her death.
In Turkey local authorities poison and sometimes shoot stray dogs instead of taking them into care. There is no official sterilization scheme, so breeding is indiscriminate and out of control. In many large cities, there are colonies of stray dogs which attract the hatred of residents and harsh measures from the authorities.
Eligur wants help from international animal protection groups.
"I know that Brigitte Bardot is very sensitive to the fate of all animals. She should mobilise everything in order to protect my dogs." she said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:30th August 1997 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None