YUGOSLAVIA: FOREIGN GOVERNMENTS FAIL TO REACT TO THE PLIGHT OF THOUSANDS OF REFUGEES IN KOSOVORecord ID: 639719
- Title: YUGOSLAVIA: FOREIGN GOVERNMENTS FAIL TO REACT TO THE PLIGHT OF THOUSANDS OF REFUGEES IN KOSOVO
- Date: 2nd September 1998
- Summary: PAGARUSHA, KOSOVO, YUGOSLAVIA (SEPTEMBER 2, 1998) 1. SV REFUGEES ON TRACTORS HEADING TOWARDS PAGARUSHA (3 SHOTS) 0.25 2. PAN PAGARUSHA VALLEY - REFUGEES IN TRACTORS, TRAILERS AND MAKESHIFT TENTS DOTTED ALONG VALLEY 0.35 3. SV REFUGEES IN SHELTERS BY STREAM (2 SHOTS) 0.42 4. SV REFUGEE WOMAN UNDER PLASTIC SHELTER COOKING ON STOVE IN FIELD (2 SHOTS) 0.50 5. SV MATTRESSES SPREAD OUT TO DRY ON TOP OF SHELTER 0.54 6. INTERIOR OF SHELTER - BOY DRAGGING FRESH BRANCHES AND WOMAN PUTTING BRANCHES ON ROOF OF SHELTER (2 SHOTS) 1.07 7. SV VARIOUS OF SHELTERS (3 SHOTS) 1.21 8. SV GROUP OF WOMEN REFUGEES SITTING UNDER PLASTIC SHELTER 92 SHOTS) 1.31 9. SCU SEJFULLA KRASNIQI, REFUGEE SAYING "RIGHT NOW WE HAVE NO CHANCE OF GOING HOME - THEY MAY HAVE POISONED OR MINED OUR HOUSES.EVERYTHING IS DESTROYED. WE HAVE NOWHERE TO GO BACK TO.PEOPLE ARE SUFFERING BECAUSE THERE IS NO AID THEY ARE DYINGFROM THESE CONDITIONS, THEY HAVE NO FOOD AND THEY ARE COLD." (ALBANIAN) 1.54 10. SV REFUGEES LIVING IN TRUCKS/ WOMAN WITH BABY 94 SHOTS) 2.15 11. SV PEOPLE WASHING IN STREAM 2.20 12. SV REFUGEES SITTING IN SHELTER MADE OF WOOD AND MATTRESSES (4 SHOTS) 2.45 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA9CDSN16VAFH6BCXQZRXMOR8U6
- Location: PAGARUSHA, KOSOVO, SERBIA, YUGOSLAVIA
- Country: Yugoslavia
- Duration: 00:02:45
- Story Text: Scores of children have perished and many more will die in Kosovo his winter if foreign governments fail to react to the plight of thousands of refugees, according to Save the Children aid workers.
The United Nations World Food Programme estimates there are up to 60,000 refugees now sheltering in scattered groups across the Pagarusha valley near Orahovac.
The valley of Pagarusha is in a remote mountainous region of Kosovo and many of the refugees now living there have come from other refugee enclaves to its relative safety.
They came in trucks and tractors which they use to build their makeshift shelters of wood, plastic and mattresses.
Most of the refugees in Pagarusha appeared to have come from nearby villages.Refugee Sejfulla Krasniqi said their houses had been destroyed or poisoned by Serb security forces and they had nowhere to go home to.
The only aid delivery which has reached the valley so far is from the World Food Programme who estimated up to 60,000 refugees were sheltering in scattered groups throughout the valley.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:17th September 1998 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None