GERMANY: FIVE EMPLOYEES OF DELTA AIR LINES GO ON PUBLIC HUNGER STRIKE AT FRANKFURT AIRPORT PROTESTING JOB CUTS
- Title: GERMANY: FIVE EMPLOYEES OF DELTA AIR LINES GO ON PUBLIC HUNGER STRIKE AT FRANKFURT AIRPORT PROTESTING JOB CUTS
- Date: 27th March 1997
- Summary: FRANKFURT, GERMANY (MARCH 27, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. LV/CU DELTA AIRCRAFT ON TARMAC (3 SHOTS) 0.20 2. LV/SV DELTA WORKERS ON HUNGER STRIKE INSIDE AIRPORT BUILDING/ CU PLACARDS (5 SHOTS) 1.00 3. SCU WORKS COUNCIL CHAIRMAN WALTER CZOGALLA SAYING HUNGER STRIKERS WILL MAINTAIN THEIR PROTEST INDEFINITELY (ENGLISH) 1.19 4. LV DELTA WORKERS ON HUNGER STRIKE INSIDE AIRPORT BUILDING (2 SHOTS) 1.37 5. SV/LV DELTA AIRCRAFT ON TARMAC (2 SHOTS) 1.59 Initials s3, p3 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA87MY51XUULK3AEO6FNE3RIGY6
- Location: FRANKFURT, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Duration: 00:02:05
- Story Text: The four men and a woman on Thursday (March 27) began their fourth day of fasting in protest at large-scale job cuts in Frankfurt by the U.S. airline.
Conflict between the airline and staff was escalating as Delta pressed ahead with plans to cut staff from 850 to 250 and drop eight of its 14 daily flights from Frankfurt.
The airline's works council chairman, Walter Czogalla, said the strikers would maintain their protest indefinitely.
Delta announced in January that it would drop what it deemed unviable flights from Frankfurt to European and U.S. destinations by the end of June.
The works council wants job guarantees for the 250 remaining staff.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:11th April 1997 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None