RUSSIA: THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE MARCH THROUGH MOSCOW TO MARK 5TH ANNIVERSARY OF WHITE HOUSE SEIGE
- Title: RUSSIA: THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE MARCH THROUGH MOSCOW TO MARK 5TH ANNIVERSARY OF WHITE HOUSE SEIGE
- Date: 4th October 1998
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (OCTOBER 4, 1998) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. VARIOUS DEMONSTRATORS GATHERING/ POLICE LOOKING ON/ VARIOUS OF BANNERS AND RED FLAGS (7 SHOTS) 0.40 2. VARIOUS DEMONSTRATORS LISTENING TO SPEAKERS AT RALLY (3 SHOTS) 0.55 3. VARIOUS OF MARCH THROUGH MOSCOW STREETS/ PEOPLE CARRYING PHOTOGRAPHS OF THOSE KILLED IN 1993/ VARIOUS OF BANNERS (9 SHOTS) 1.46 4. VARIOUS DEMONSTRATORS GATHERED AT CEMETERY FOR RELIGIOUS SERVICE TO COMMEMORATE THOSE KILLED/ COMMUNIST PARTY LEADER GENNADY ZYUGANOV AMONG CROWD (7 SHOTS) 2.25 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA8SDDQYCSN4EOTC5JVO78T4M0V
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Duration: 00:02:26
- Story Text: Just three days ahead of nationwide trade union protests, thousands of people have marched through Moscow to mark the 5th anniversary of the White House seige led by dissident members of the then Supreme Soviet.
Five years after the storming of the Russian White House by troops loyal to President Boris Yeltsin, over one thousand people gathered in central Moscow on Sunday (October 4) to commemorate those killed during the confrontation.
147 people were killed and the White House shelled before the parliamentarians, led by Alexander Rutskoi and Ruslan Khasbulatov, surrendered on October 4, 1993.
Sunday's demonstration comes just three days before a nationwide day of protests by trade unions.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:19th October 1998 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None