- Title: BOSNIA: BILDT ARRIVES IN SARAJEVO
- Date: 23rd June 1995
- Summary: SARAJEVO, BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA (JUNE 1995) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SV NEW EUROPEAN UNION MEDIATOR FOR THE FORMER YUGOSLAVIA, CARL BILDT, WITH CHAIRMAN FOR INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON FORMER YUGOSLAVIA THORVALD STOLTENBERG, AND BOSNIAN FOREIGN MINISTER MUHAMED SACIRBEY ARRIVING AT MEETING 0.08 2. SCU BILDT SAYING ALL SIDES NEED TO WORK TOGETHER TO MAKE PEACE (ENGLISH) 0.49 3. SCU SACIRBEY SAYING THE BOSNIAN GOVERNMENT IS WILLING TO WORK WITH BILDT (ENGLISH) 1.42 SEQUENCE 2 transcript: BILDT :"I DON'T THINK THAT PEACE IS DEPENDANT UPON ONE PERSON OR ANOTHER COMING FROM THE OUTSIDE WORLD. PEACE CAN ONLY BE BROUGHT TO THIS COUNTRY BY PEOPLE HERE. EVENTUALLY THERE WOULD HAVE TO BE SOME SORT OF POLITICAL PROCESS HERE OR WHEREVER. WHAT WE CAN DO IS TO PERHAPS HELP, FACILITATE AND PROVIDE THE HELP AND ASSISTANCE OF THE OUTSIDE WORLD. THAT'S OUR ITSELF" SEQUENCE 3 transcript: SACIRBEY :"WE VERY MUCH WELCOME MR. BILDT AND MR. STOLTENBERG AND WELCOME MR.BILDT'S INVOLVEMENT WITH THE HOPE THAT HIS MISSION MAY SUCCEED. WE HAVE I THINK AT LEAST AGREED TO ONE THING WHICH IS TO CONTNIUE A DIALOGUE. THAT DIALOGUE AS MR. BILDT SAID WILL BE LARGELY PRIVATE AND CERTAINLY WILL BE ALONG THE LINES THAT THE CONTACT GROUP PROCESS. THIS IS NOT SOMETHING THAT I THINK IS GOING TO SUPERSEDE THAT PROCESS AND FRANKLY WE WILL NOT BE PREPARED TO DO THAT. WE ARE VERY PREPARED TO WORK AS EXTENSIVELY AND AS CONSTRUCTIVELY AS WE CAN WITH MR. BILDT AND HE CERTAINLY HAS THE CAPACITY TO BE A HELPFUL FORCE" Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA2042KNYLIDLQ69JPWN16PD6QI
- Location: SARAJEVO, BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA
- Duration: 00:01:44
- Story Text: The latest international peace mission to the war torn former Yugoslavia was hit by further rows amonsgt the allies on Friday (June 23) as the European Union's new mediator for the region, Carl Bildt, arrived in Sarajevo for a series of meetings with Bosnian government and Serb leaders.
Bildt and fellow peace envoy Thorvald Stoltenberg held talks with Bosnian Foreign Minister Muhamed Sacirbey.
Bildt also met the United Nations' commander in Bosnia, General Rupert Smith, who is increasingly at odds with the United Nations (U.N.) mission headquarters in Zagreb.
The diplomatic contacts were overshadowed by United States anger at a reported secret U.N. deal supposedly offered to the Serbs in return for the recent release of U.N. hostages.
The hostages were released after the intervention of Serbian President Slobodan Milosevic who supports the international peace plan in Bosnia which Carl Bildt is trying to implement.
Bildt and fellow mediator Thorvald Stoltenberg had earlier met Bosnian government officials in the town of Mostar because it had been too dangerous to travel to Sarejevo.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:8th July 1995 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None