- Title: CROATIA: CROATIAN MILITARY WITHDRAW FROM FRONTLINE REGION OF EASTERN SLAVONIA.
- Date: 16th November 1995
- Summary: NEAR SLAVONSKI BROD, CROATIA (NOVEMBER 16, 1995) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SV CROATIAN SOLDIERS IN CAR AT HEAD OF CONVOY/ CAR AWAY (2 SHOTS) 0.11 2. SLV PANS CROATIAN MILITARY TRUCKS ON HIGHWAY THAT LINKS EASTERN SLAVONIA WITH ZAGREB (3 SHOTS) 0.58 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA1G2HS7IJXJ1Y8EFSNT6IIYXSG
- Location: NEAR SLAVONSKI BROD, CROATIA
- Country: Croatia
- Duration: 00:00:58
- Story Text: The Croatian army began withdrawing its troops from Croatia's frontline region of eastern Slavonia on Thursday (November 16).
A convoy of Croatian military trucks carrying ammunition was seen on a highway moving in the direction of Croatia's capital, Zagreb.
Tension in that region has decreased since last Sunday when rebel Serbs agreed to hand over Eastern Slavonia to Croatia. The agreement was made through an accord under which a United Nations (U.N.) Security Council resolution would establish an international force to guarantee human rights during a transition period of up to two years.
Eastern Slavonia is a fertile strip of farmland studded with oil wells on the sensitive Danube river border with Serbia. It was one of three enclaves seized by minority Serbs in a 1991 revolt against Croatia's secession from Yugoslavia.
However, many Croat refugees from Eastern Slavonia resent the terms of Sunday's pact, believing that the Croatian army could also retake Eastern Slavonia in a matter of days and spare them the tribulations of a two-year transition.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:1st December 1995 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None