FRANCE: FRENCH FARMERS PROTEST IN PARIS AGAINST GOVERNMENT PLANS TO TRANSFER AGRICULTURAL AID TO DIFFERENT PARTS...
- Title: FRANCE: FRENCH FARMERS PROTEST IN PARIS AGAINST GOVERNMENT PLANS TO TRANSFER AGRICULTURAL AID TO DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE COUNTRY
- Date: 15th September 1997
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (SEPTEMBER 15, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SLV TROCADERO SQUARE WITH EIFFEL TOWER IN BACKGROUND 0.03 2. ZOOM OUT FARMERS GATHERED AT TROCADERO 0.12 3. SLV'S FARMERS UNION BANNERS/ POSTERS AGAINST NEW PLAN BY AGRICULTURE MINISTER JEAN LE PENSEC (2 SHOTS) 0.21 4. PAN DRUMS 0.28 5. SV MICHEL CAFFIN SAYING "WE WANT TO SHOW OUR OPPOSITION TO LE PENSEC'S NEW PLAN. THIS PLAN IS CALLED "REGIONALISATION PLAN" CONSISTING IN REDUCING INDEMNITIES WHICH SHOULD HAVE BEEN GIVEN TO A CERTAIN NUMBER OF REGIONS IN THE NORTH OF FRANCE. THESE INDEMNITIES SHOULD BE GIVEN TO OTHER FRENCH REGIONS INSTEAD. (FRENCH) 0.52 6. WS FARMERS WITH DRUMS 0.56 7. SV MICHEL CAFFIN SAYING " FRANCE IS FACING AN IMPORTANT DATELINE; THE SANTER PROJECT. THE AGRICULTURAL POLICY MUST BE REVIEWED BY 1999. THIS IS ABSURD TO CHANGE THE PLAN WITHOUT NEGOTIATIONS WITH THE EUROPEAN COMMISSION" (FRENCH) 1.17 8. TRACK/CU FARMERS HITTING DRUMS (2 SHOTS) 1.27 9. VARIOUS FARMERS WALKING AND HOLDING DRUMS (3 SHOTS) 1.42 10. TRACK FARMERS THROWING DRUMS INTO THE TROCADERO FOUNTAINS 1.52 11. CLOSE UP OF POSTERS: ONE WITH CARTOON OF STAR TREK CHARACTER "SPOCK" READING "LE PENSEC, THIEVES POLITICS" "DRUMS DON'T FLY" (ON THE LEFT); PEASANT TARGETS/THE TRUE FACE OF LE PENSEC (ON THE RIGHT) 1.56 14. WIDE SHOT OF DRUMS IN WATER PAN TO EIFFEL TOWER 2.04 Initials S3,P3 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA3KTSXNZ6KQI3AYCEYVT5TUEL9
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Duration: 00:02:05
- Story Text: INTRO: Farmers in France have protested against new plans by the government to transfer agricultural aid to different parts of the country.
Some 500 farmers took over the Place du Trocadero, in Paris, on Monday (September 15), to attack the Minister of Agriculture's latest big idea.
Jean Le Pensec's plan, known as the "Regionalisation Plan", is to slash aid to farmers in the North and transfer it to farmers in other parts of the country.
That would translate into a loss of 45 million French Francs (675 million United States dollars) in compensation for northern farmers.
The President of the Ile de France Farmers Federation, Michel Caffin said farmers were angry that the plans have not been discussed by the European Commission.
During their protest, farmers said the government's action amounted to straight theft.
Farmers beat the drums to make as much noise as possible but there was also a small irony there. Drums, in French slang, is known as "Bidon" which also means "Rubbish". So this was the farmers way of "rubbishing" le Pensec's policies.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:30th September 1997 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None