- Title: IRAQ: TURKISH MILITARY DETAIN VILLAGERS SUSPECTED OF BEING KURDISH GUERILLAS
- Date: 22nd March 1995
- Summary: DARKAJAN, IRAQ (MARCH 22, 1995) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. GV/ VARIOUS OF TURKISH MILITARY OPERATION IN DARKAJAN/ SOLDIERS IN TANKS/ SETTING UP CAMPS (26 SHOTS) 3.33 2. GV/VARIOUS OF CAPTURED WEAPONS LAID OUT ON GROUND/ AMMUNITION/GUNS (5 SHOTS) 3.52 3. SV TURKISH SOLDIERS WITH LOCAL KURDISH CHILDREN/GIVING THEM PROVISIONS/GROUP OF SOLDIERS NEAR MILITARY VEHICLE 4.12 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA217KADFVBTNEQZ7AT1WYHM0AJ
- Location: DARKAJAN, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Duration: 00:04:12
- Story Text: Turkish troops have detained villagers suspected of being Kurdish guerrillas in a huge operation against rebels in northern Iraq.
Witnesses said on Wednesday (March 22) Turkish troops, on the third day of a mission involving 35,000 soldiers, had searched houses in Derkar township, northeast of the border town of Zakho, and detained some residents.
Reuters Television producer Ali Nun reported from the Iraqi village of Darkajan, 18 km (12 miles) west of Zakho, that Turkish troops commanded the heights overlooking the region.
He said commandos were boarding helicopters to push further south in pursuit of any fleeing Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) fighters.
"As you can see, control has been established in northern Iraq," he quoted mission commander Lieutenant-General Hasan Kundakci as saying.
Soldiers in Zakho showed journalists weapons, including anti-aircraft missiles, mortars, and anti-tank mines, they said they had captured from the PKK in the operation.
But villagers said the weapons belonged to local members of the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK), an Iraqi Kurdish group opposed to President Saddam Hussein.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:6th April 1995 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None