- Title: USA: ARIZONA BULLS FESTIVAL
- Date: 11th July 1998
- Summary: NEAR MESQUITE, ARIZONA, UNITED STATES (JULY 11, 1998) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. WIDE RANCH OUTSIDE MESQUITE 0.04 2. SV VARIOUS OF BULL RUNNERS CHECKING IN/ RECIEVING T-SHIRTS/PAYING 50 U.S. DOLLAR ENTRANCE FEE/ SIGNING MEDICAL WAIVERS (5 SHOTS) 0.37 3. SV BULL RUNNERS HEADING INTO THE COURSE (6 SHOTS) 1.08 4. SLV RUNNING OF THE BULLS (5 SHOTS) 1.53 5. SCU CROWD CHEERING 2.02 6. SCU CRAIG DETHOMAS, 11-YEAR VETERAN OF PAMPLONA (1974-1985), SAYING, "IT WAS NOT AS THRILL-PACKED AS PAMPLONA, BUT IT'S A RUSH. MY HEART WAS POUNDING" -- REPORTER ASKING 'WERE YOU CLOSE TO THE BULLS?' -- DETHOMAS SAYING "YEAH, I THINK SO. I WAS RIGHT THERE WHEN THE FIRST PACK OF THEM CAME. I SAW THE WHITE'S OF THEIR EYES" (ENGLISH) 2.13 7. SCU UNIDENTIFIED RUNNER SAYING, "LET'S SUM IT UP THOUGH. IT WAS SHEER TERROR. NOBODY GOT HURT. NONE OF THE BULLS GOT HURT. LET'S KEEP IT IN AMERICA!" (ENGLISH) 2.22 8. SLV DETHOMAS WALKING WITH BULL 2.31 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA7YLIQ8ZRITBPFMOMCG021J4EM
- Location: NEAR MESQUITE, ARIZONA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:02:32
- Story Text: Pamplona's world-famous running of the bulls festival has a rival - half a world away, in the Arizona desert.
There were no cobble-stoned streets, just acres of dust, and contestants numbered in their hundreds rather than thousands.But on Saturday (July 11), for one day at least, this ranch on the Arizona-Nevada border was determined to give Pamplona a run for its money.
The narrow, winding streets of the northern Spanish town were replaced by cattle-fencing marking out an s-shaped course in the dirt.But the bulls looked just as daunting, and the would-be runners just as nervous.
Participants paid 50 United States (U.S.) dollars and signed a waiver absolving organizers of any responsibility for injuries they might receive.In return, they got a t-shirt, a red sash and the chance to scare themselves senseless running in front of 650 kilogramme bulls.
Several thousand spectators lined the makeshift course in temperatures that reached 32-degrees celsius as the 18 bulls were released in three groups.
The final results - a herd of exhausted cattle, a few scrapes and sprains and several hundred dusty, sweaty contestants promising to return for nexy year's "Running of the Bulls America".
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:26th July 1998 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None