BELGIUM: HUNDREDS OF WORKERS FROM THE THREATENED BELGIUM RENAULT FACTORY AT VILVOORDE BLOCKADE EUROSTAR AND TGV TRAINS BOUND FOR LONDON AND PARISRecord ID: 639819
- Title: BELGIUM: HUNDREDS OF WORKERS FROM THE THREATENED BELGIUM RENAULT FACTORY AT VILVOORDE BLOCKADE EUROSTAR AND TGV TRAINS BOUND FOR LONDON AND PARIS
- Date: 24th March 1997
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (MARCH 24, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SLV RENAULT WORKERS BLOCKING EUROSTAR TRAIN 0.07 2. SCU LUGGAGE TROLLEYS ON TRACKS IN FRONT OF EUROSTAR TRAIN 0.19 3. SV OF RENAULT WORKERS PROTESTING (4 SHOTS) 0.43 4. SV RENAULT WORKER WAVING BANNER 1.01 5. SCU UNION LEADER KAREL GACOMS SPEAKING ABOUT PROTEST (FRENCH) 1.15 6. SLV PROTESTERS BLOCKING EUROSTAR TRAIN 1.26 7. SLV PROTESTERS BLOCKING TGV TRAIN IN STATION 1.41 8. SV TWO RENAULT WORKER PROTESTERS PRETENDING TO HOLD TRAIN BACK 1.51 9. SCU RENAULT WORKER PROTESTERS PLAYING CARDS 1.58 10.SV OF PROTESTERS IN FRONT OF TRAIN 2.06 Initials s.3 - p.3 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA8H407BAGJG71ZG5FQRI2STOZ2
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Duration: 00:02:07
- Story Text: INTRO: Several hundred workers from the threatened Belgium Renault factory at Vilvoorde took their protest on to the railways on Monday (March 24) morning, blockading Eurostar and TGV trains bound for London and Paris.
Police and railway authorities watched but took no action as the workers sat on the front of the trains waving flags and chanting. They had earlier blocked the tracks with luggage trolleys.
The two trains involved were the 1030 local time (0930gmt) Eurostar departure for London via Lille in France and the 1107 local time (1007gmt) TGV high-speed train to Paris.
Union Leader Karel Gacoms said the Renault workers were targetting the railways as part of their campaign to persuade Renault management to change its mind and reverse its decision to close the car plant in the Belgian town of Vilvoorde.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:8th April 1997 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None