- Title: TURKEY: TWIN BEAR CUBS ADJUST TO LIFE IN THE WILD
- Date: 14th May 1996
- Summary: BURSA, TURKEY (RECENT) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. GV WIDE OF REHABILITATION CENTRE 0.07 2. SV SIGN SAYING "LIBEARTY", WHICH IS THE WORLD SOCIETY FOR THE PROTECTION OF ANIMALS' CAMPAIGN TO END THE PRACTICE OF DANCING BEARS 0.11 3. SV BEAR CUB IN TREE/BEAR CUB DRINKING MILK 0.22 4. SLV BEAR CUBS RUNNING THROUGH FOREST 0.29 5. SV BEARS PLAYING 0.42 6. CU BEAR CUB RUNNING UP AND PLAYING WITH CAMERA 0.54 7. SCU ANOTHER BEAR PLAYING IN POOL IN CENTRE 0.58 8. SLV GROUP OF BEARS PLAYING 1.07 9. SV BEARS PLAYING IN TREE 1.13 10.SLV BEARS IN ENCLOSURE 1.19 Initials S3 P3 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA3U2QB4K181B808XPDG4541GTU
- Location: BURSA, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Duration: 00:06:09
- Story Text: INTRO: Twin bear cubs, whose parents were held captive and maltreated as dancing bears, have been trying to adjust to life in the wild in western Turkey.
The two bear cubs, Guler and Erol, have been roaming the countryside at a sanctuary run by the World Society for the Protection of Animals (WSPA) in the wilds of Bursa in western Turkey. They have been frolicking in the forest and taking advantage of their newfound freedom.
A coffee shop owner bought the twins -- Guler, a female, and Erol, a male, -- from a gypsy in Istanbul. The man kept them in a small cage for about a month until Guler escaped and ran away.
Guler was found and handed in to WSPA's "Libearty" campaign.
"Libearty" is a campaign launched by WSPA in 1992 to end the cruel and illegal practice of 'dancing bears' and to provide them a semi-wild environment in rehabilitation centres established in Greece and Turkey.
The officials at "Libearty" discovered that Guler had a brother and they traced the owner and persuaded him to hand Erol over to the rehabilitation centre in Bursa so that he could be with his twin sister. The two little bears have been playing together ever since.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:29th May 1996 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None