- Title: GHANA: CLEAN UP AND RESCUE EFFORTS CONTINUE FOLLOWING SEVERE FLOODING.
- Date: 4th July 1995
- Summary: ACCRA, GHANA (JULY 4, 1995) (RTV -- ACCESS ALL) 1. GV/PAN FLOODED STREETS (2 SHOTS) 0.06 2. SV/ZOOM OUT PEOPLE PUSH STRANDED VEHICLES (2 SHOTS) 0.13 3. SLV GHANA PRESIDENT JERRY RAWLINGS WALKS THROUGH FLOOD WATERS INSPECTING DAMAGE 0.19 4. GV MORE FLOODED VEHICLES 0.23 5. GV/LV SUBMERGED PEOPLE IN WATER CARRYING PERSONAL BELONGINGS (2 SHOTS) 0.28 6. SV/ZOOM DEAD CHILDREN IN BOAT/ PRESIDENT RAWLINGS VIEWS DEAD BODIES (2 SHOTS) 0.39 8. SLV PEOPLE CARRYING POSSESSIONS 0.46 9. SLV/ZOOM-IN FAMILY STRANDED ON ROOF OF HOUSE (2 SHOTS) 0.52 10. SV PEOPLE BEING RESCUED FROM ROOFS 1.01 11. SV DEAD BODY BEING CARRIED OUT AND PUT IN TRUCK 1.15 12. SLV PEOPLE ON MAKE SHIFT FOOT BRIDGE 1.20 13. GV/SV TOWN CLEARING UP (2 SHOTS) 1.28 14. SV/ZOOM OUT FROM DEAD BODY IN MUD (2 SHOTS) 1.38 15. SV PEOPLE BEING CARRIED FROM FLOOD WATERS 1.40 16. SV PANS TROOPS 1.50 17. GV PANS FLOODED TOWN 2.01 18. SV DEAD BODY BEING PUT ON TRUCK 2.10 19. SLV RESCUE BOATS BEING UNLOADED 2.18 20. SLV PEOPLE BEING RESCUED IN BOAT 2.31 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA8LUVGYDOKNWP1SBH9FUUQ5SP3
- Location: ACCRA, GHANA
- Country: Ghana
- Duration: 00:02:31
- Story Text: Clean-up and rescue efforts were continuing in the West African country of Ghana where severe floods on Tuesday (July 4) claimed at least 20 lives.
Torrential rains knocked out telephone lines and caused extensive damage in the capital of Accra and surrounding towns, the Daily Graphic newspaper reported.
It said the capital city of Accra and its surrounding towns and villages witnessed the worst flood in more than 50 years on Tuesday.
It also said that 20 people were confirmed dead as a result of the floods.
The newspapers said life in Accra began to return to normal after mopping up on Wednesday (July 5). However, efforts to contact Ghana by telephone or telex from neighbouring Ivory Coast were proving difficult.
Ghana President President Jerry Rawlings visited the worst-hit areas.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:19th July 1995 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None