ZIMBABWE/ZAMBIA: FEATURE: THOUSANDS FLOCK TO SEE FLOODGATES REOPEN ON THE KARIBA DAMRecord ID: 639841
- Title: ZIMBABWE/ZAMBIA: FEATURE: THOUSANDS FLOCK TO SEE FLOODGATES REOPEN ON THE KARIBA DAM
- Date: 1st October 1999
- Summary: LAKE KARIBA, BORDER OF ZAMBIA AND ZIMBABWE (RECENT) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SLV/TRAVELLING SHOT MOTOR BOAT GOING DOWN LAKE KARIBA (2 SHOTS) 0.06 2. WIDE OF LAKE 0.09 3. LV KARIBA DAMN WALL 0.14 4. PAN HYDROELECTRICITY MASTS 0.18 5. AERIAL VIEWS OF DAMN 0.20 6. LV'S HOTELS AND RESORTS ALONG RIVER BANK (2 SHOTS) 0.26 7. SLV/TRACK LUXURY VESSELS AVAILABLE FOR HIRE (2 SHOTS) 0.33 8. SLV HIPPO IN LAKE 0.37 9. SLV ELEPHANTS ON SHORE 0.41 10. SV ELEPHANTS EATING SEA HYACINTH 0.46 11. SLV LOCAL RESIDENTS STANDING NEXT TO HIPPO FISHING 0.54 12. SV/LV PEOPLE ON THEIR WAY TO WITNESS OPENING OF FLOOD GATES ON THE DAMN (2 SHOTS) 1.02 13. PAN SMALL PLANE FLYING 1.05 14. MV/SV MORE PEOPLE WALKING/ TAKING PHOTOS (3 SHOTS) 1.11 15. WIDE OF DAMN WALL 1.17 16. VARIOUS OF OPENING OF FLOODGATES/ WATER POURING THROUGH (3 SHOTS) 1.40 17. SCU (SOUNBITE) (ENGLISH) MIKE TUMBARE, IN CHARGE OF DAMN WALL, SAYING "SINCE THE DAMN WAS BUILT IN THE 1950S WE'VE NEVER SERVICED THE GEAR BOXES OR MOTORS WHICH OPERATE THE GATES AND THIS HAS JUST BEEN COMPLETED BY A COMPANY - A CONTRACTOR - IN AUGUST. AND BASICALLY AS PART OF THE CONTRACT AND CERTIFICATION OF THE WORKS DONE WE HAVE TO OPEN THE GATES AS WELL" 1.57 18. VARIOUS MORE OF DAMN WALL WITH OPEN FLOODGATES (3 SHOTS) 2.10 19. SCU (SOUNDBITE) (ENGLISH) ALLAN MOLLEY, TECHNICAL DIRECTOR AT ELECTROREPS SAYING "NO CONTRACT EVER GOES LIKE CLOCKWORK, BUT WE GOT THERE, WE'VE DONE WHAT WE HAD TO DO. WE'VE HAD OUR PROBLEMS BUT WE ACHIEVED WHAT WE SET OUT TO DO" 2.19 20. PAN DOWN DAMN WALL TO WATER POURING THROUGH 2.25 21. SLV/LV PEOPLE WATCHING (2 SHOTS) 2.32 22. SCU (SOUNDBITE) (ENGLISH) FEMALE TOURIST SAYING "WE SAW ADVERTISEMENTS ABOUT THIS ON TV, WE THOUGHT WE'D JUST COME AND WITNESS - IT'S SO EXCITING" 2.40 23. SCU TOURIST WITH CIGARETTE 2.45 24. PAN PEOPLE NEAR DAM 2.49 25. SV PEOPLE AT MARKET 2.52 26. MV TOURISTS TAKING PHOTOS 2.54 27. CU CHILD STARING THROUGH BINOCULARS 2.56 28. SCU (SOUNDBITE) (ENGLISH) MARK LAWRENCE, CHAIRMAN OF KARIBA PUBLICITY ASSOCIATION SAYING "AT THIS TIME OF THE YEAR TOURISM IN KARIBA MAINLANDS IS PROBABLY FAIRLY QUIET - THE HOTELS PROBABLY ARE ABOUT 30-40 PER CENT FULL. KARIBA IS ABSOLUTELY JAM PACKED, EVERY HOTEL, ALL ACCOMMODATION IS TAKEN, SO THIS HAS BEEN GREAT FOR THE TOURISM TRADE" 3.09 29. SCU (SOUNDBITE) (ENGLISH) JAMES GUMPO, CHAIRMAN OF KARIBA TOWN COUNCIL SAYING "WE AS A TOWN REALLY APPRECIATE THIS SORT OF THING BECAUSE IT REALLY BRINGS BUSINESS INTO TOWN. AS YOU CAN SEE WE HAVE THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE IN THE TOWN" 3.18 30. TV MORE WATER COMING THROUGH FLOOD GATES 3.23 31. AERIAL VIEWS OF DAMN (2 SHOTS) 3.37 Initials COMMENTARY: 10:00:06 - 10:03:43 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVACPM46GBEUH47UCW508JYL3BPO
- Location: LAKE KARIBA , ZIMBABWE/ ZAMBIA BORDER
- Country: Zimbabwe Zambia
- Duration: 00:03:38
- Story Text: 200 Kilometres long and 40 wide, the Lake was
created by the completion of the Kariba Dam wall in June
1959, which provided much needed hydroelectricity and
resulted in this jewel of an inland sea.
Sophisticated hotels, casinos and resorts dot the 2,000
kilometre shoreline, and countless luxury vessels are
available for hire to explore the numerous islands.
With abundant wildlife, few areas in the world offer
such extraordinary game viewing, particularly of elephant
munching happily on the water hyacinth, while human
residents live peacefully, side by side, with the animals.
But recently the peace and quiet was shattered as
thousands of people made their way to the best vantage
points to witness an event.
They drove, flew or hitch hiked to view a sight not seen
since 1981, the opening of the floodgates on the dam wall.
For the first time in 17 years over 2,000 tons of water
per second thundered out of each of the floodgates.
A real crowd-pleasing spectacle, but for Mike Tumbare,
who's in charge of the dam wall, this event was a vital
test of refurbished equipment.
"Since the dam was built in the 1950's we've never
serviced the gearboxes or motors which operate the gates and
this has just been completed by a company-a contractor-in
August, and basically as part of the contract and
certification of the works done we have to open the gates as
well", he says.
It was six months of hard work for the engineers on the
project who felt a great sense of relief when the floodgates
opened as planned.
Allan Molloy, technical director at Electroreps says no
contract ever goes like clockwork, but that his company
achieved what they had set out to do despite difficulties.
It may have been an important engineering test, but for
the 10,000 people who gathered on the Zimbabwean side alone,
there was a party atmosphere and a chance for an
For the small resort town of Kariba the milling crowd
gave a much needed boost to the tourism industry, with
hotels and facilities being stretched to the limit.
Mark Lawrence, Chairman of Kariba Publicity Association
says "At this time of year tourism in Kariba mainlands is
probably fairly quiet-the hotels probably about 30-40
percent full.Kariba is absolutely jam packed, every hotel
all accommodation is taken so this has been great for the
James Gumpo,Chairman of Kariba Town Council agrees."We
as a town really appreciate this sort of thing because it
really brings business into town.As you can see we have
thousands of people into the town."
This is the first time for years that the level of water
in Lake Kariba has been high enough to fully test the
If, as predicted, Zimbabwe is now going to go through an
increased rainfall pattern, this event may become a regular
in the years ahead.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:16th October 1999 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None