BELGIUM: NATO SPOKESMAN JAMIE SHEA DECLARES THAT THE ALLIANCE IS WORKING ALONGSIDE THE WAR CRIMES TRIBUNAL
- Title: BELGIUM: NATO SPOKESMAN JAMIE SHEA DECLARES THAT THE ALLIANCE IS WORKING ALONGSIDE THE WAR CRIMES TRIBUNAL
- Date: 14th February 1996
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (FEBRUARY 14, 1996) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SCU NATO (NORTH ATLANTIC TREATY ORGANISATION) SPOKESMAN JAMIE SHEA SPEAKING (ENGLISH) 0.34 2. SCU SHEA SPEAKING (ENGLISH) 1.21 SEQUENCE 1 TRANSCRIPT: SHEA:"WE NEED A SYSTEM IN IFOR (IMPLEMENTATION FORCE) WITH CHECKPOINTS SO IF WAR CRIMINALS ARE MOVING ABOUT BOSNIA SOONER OR LATER THERE IS A CHANCE THEY WILL BE CAUGHT BY IFOR SOLDIERS AND HANDED OVER TO THE WAR CRIMES TRIBUNAL. WE HOPE TO CONCLUDE AN AGREEMENT WITH THE TRIBUNAL; TO CLARIFY ALL THESE PRACTICAL AND LEGAL ASPECTS." SEQUENCE 2 TRANSCRIPT: SHEA: "THE FACT TWO BOSNIAN SERB OFFICERS HAVE BEEN APPREHENDED AND TRANSFERRED SENDS A SIGNAL TO THE WAR CRIMINALS THAT THERE IS NO HIDING PLACE FOR THEM. THEY MAY HAVE THOUGHT THAT THE HAGUE TRIBUNAL WAS A PUBLIC RELATIONS EXERCISE WHICH WOULD NEVER HAVE TEETH BUT WE ARE PROVING THEM WRONG. IT MAY TAKE TIME BEFORE THEY ARE BROUGHT TO JUSTICE BUT I THINK NOW IS NOT A QUESTION OF IF BUT QUESTION OF WHEN FOR THOSE INDICTED WAR CRIMINALS." Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA2KDKUMYMAMMKTF22KWN9WKS83
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Duration: 00:01:23
- Story Text: NATO spokesman Jamie Shea on Wednesday (February 14) declared that the alliance was working alongside the war crimes tribunal in the Hague to bring to justice indicted war criminals from the former Yugoslavia.
Speaking from NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organisation) headquarters in Brussels, Shea said that it might take some time but he was confident that all those indicted for war crimes could be brought to trial.
Tensions have been high between government and Serb-held parts of Sarajevo in recent days because of the government's detention and extradition to the United Nations war crimes tribunal in The Hague of two Bosnian Serb army officers.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:29th February 1996 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None