USA: VINCENT VAN GOGH'S "SOUS BOIS" SELLS FOR 27 MILLION U.S DOLLARS AT SOTHEBY'S AUCTION.
- Title: USA: VINCENT VAN GOGH'S "SOUS BOIS" SELLS FOR 27 MILLION U.S DOLLARS AT SOTHEBY'S AUCTION.
- Date: 8th November 1995
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (NOVEMBER 8, 1995) (RTV (A) - ACCESS ALL) 1. SV SIGN SOTHEBY'S/CRANE UP TO VINCENT VAN GOGH'S "SOUS BOIS" ON DISPLAY/ CU SIGNATURE OF VAN GOGH (3 SHOTS) 0.14 2. SV/VARIOUS PAN BIDDING STARTS AT FIVE MILLION UNITED STATES DOLLARS/BIDDING CONTINUES/AUCTIONEER/PEOPLE ON TELEPHONES/ APPLAUSE AS WORK SOLD FOR 27 MILLION U.S DOLLARS (7 SHOTS) 1.11 3. GV/VARIOUS AUDIENCE/OTHER BIDDING TAKING PLACE FOR ANOTHER PAINTING (6 SHOTS) 1.52 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA5QKYJ9GMV5ZW5KTEJZDBOBRRC
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:01:52
- Story Text: One of the last paintings by Vincent Van Gogh, his "Sous Bois" (The Thicket), sold for 27 million United States dollars (USD) on Wednesday night (November 9) at Sotheby's auction house in New York.
The value of the painting had been estimated at ten million USD.
The total sale of Impressionist and Modern art paintings on Wednesday came to 113.7 million USD, the highest for a single night's sale since 1990. Even so, the evening fell below forecasts of 125 million to 170 million USD.
There were gasps from the crowd when five Picassos, a Leger, a Renoir and a rare Chagall did not meet their minimum required bids and went unsold. Those paintings alone were expected to take 30 million to 40 million USD.
"Sous Bois" was completed about five weeks before Van Gogh committed suicide in 1890, but is not his final piece since he continued to paint until the day he died, a Sotheby's spokesman said.
It is now the fourth-highest priced of any Van Gogh painting sold at auction and the most expensive since "Portrait of Dr.
Gachet" sold for 82.5 million USD in 1990 -- the most expensive picture ever painted.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:23rd November 1995 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None