- Title: EGYPT: U.S MARINES UNDERTAKE MILITARY EXERCISES FROM USS SHREVEPORT
- Date: 10th November 1995
- Summary: UNIDENTIFIED LOCATION ON NORTH-WEST COAST, EGYPT (NOVEMBER 10, 1995) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SV PILOT IN HELICOPTER/ AERIAL VIEW OF USS WASP (2 SHOTS) 0.09 2. GV HELICOPTERS ABOARD USS WASP 0.19 3. GV/SLV UNITED STATES (U.S.) MARINES IN INFLATABLE DINGHIES IN THE WATER (2 SHTOS) 0.32 4. HAS, LV/SLV U.S. MARINES BOARDING USS WASP (2 SHOTS) 0.45 5. SLV U.S. MARINES BOARDING HELICOPTERS ON USS SHREVEPORT 0.50 6. GV HELICOPTERS DROPPING U.S. MARINES INTO SEA 1.01 7. SLV HELICOPTERS TAKING OFF 1.12 8. GV U.S. MARINES INTO INFLATABLE DINGHIES 1.21 9. SLV/SV INT. MARINE BOATS INSIDE USS SHREVEPORT/ . SV U.S. MARINE CHECKING BOAT (3 SHOTS) 1.39 10. SV NAVIGATION ROOM, MARINE LOOKS AT RADAR SCREEN/ MARINE LOOKS THROUGH BINOCULARS (2 SHOTS) 1.47 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA1WDLP0FW2ML6ESVBHCYEUR3WY
- Location: UNIDENTIFIED lOCATION, EGYPT
- Country: AFRICA Egypt AT SEA MIDDLE EAST
- Duration: 00:01:47
- Story Text: United States (U.S.) Marine combat swimmers leapt from helicopters into the Mediterranean on Friday (November 10), preparing for a mock attack on Egypt's northern coast which will launch the Middle East's biggest joint war exercise.
The 12 marines, acting as scouts for a 2,000-strong U.S. force which will storm ashore on amphibious craft on Saturday, plunged into the water from two Sea Knight helicopters hovering just a few metres (feet) above the waves.
The marines will join landing forces from Egypt and France as well as British paratroopers, forming a coalition to repel an imaginary aggressor trying to seize vital natural resources.
Exercise Bright Star, grouping the four countries and troops from the United Arab Emirates (UAE), brings together 55,000 men for a week's training to improve coordination and underline U.S.
military commitment to the region.
Around 33,000 Egyptian troops will take part, along with 22,000 from the United States -- who have deployed in stages from the United States since August -- plus about 1,000 French, 500 British and just under 200 from the UAE.
The five countries will stage coordinated amphibious landings, paratroop landings in the desert, helicopter strikes behind "enemy" lines and a large scale land offensive to repel enemy forces.
Bright Star, originally a simple U.S.-Egyptian joint exercise, has been held every two years since Egypt signed a U.S.-brokered peace deal with Israel in 1979.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:25th November 1995 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None