TURKEY - TENSION MOUNTS AS TURKEY AND GREECE HOLD NAVAL MANOUEVRES IN THE SAME AREARecord ID: 639872
- Title: TURKEY - TENSION MOUNTS AS TURKEY AND GREECE HOLD NAVAL MANOUEVRES IN THE SAME AREA
- Date: 14th November 1994
- Summary: GOLCUK, TURKEY (NOVEMBER 14, 1994) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. GV/SV STATIONARY TURKISH WARSHIPS (NATURAL) (6 SHOTS) 0.25 2. MCU OF VARIOUS NEWSPAPER HEADLINES AND MAP OF AREA WHERE NAVAL EXERCISES TO TAKE PLACE (MUTE) (7 SHOTS) 0.50 3. GV/SV SHIPS AND SUBMARINES LEAVE PORT (4 SHOTS) 1.07 4. SV SPECTATORS LOOKING OUT TO PORT 1.16 5. GV SHIPS LEAVING PORT 1.25 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA7O5E6CFEPB48J8S463796DCTW
- Location: GOLCUK, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Duration: 00:01:25
- Story Text: The departure of Turkish warships for north Aegean Sea exercises on Monday (November 14) increased tensions with neighbouring Greece, which is also holding naval manouevres in the area.
At least 10 armed destroyers and frigates left Turkey's main naval base of Golcuk. Later they will be joined by submarines, assault boats, minesweepers, auxiliary vessels and air force fighters and bombers for live-weapons activities.
Greece is holding its own air and sea manoeuvres in the south of the Aegean.
The proximity of the two countries' forces has raised the possibility of conflict.
Although both are NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organisation) members, Greece and Turkey are politically hostile to each other, particularly on the subject of territorial rights in the Aegean.
An international pact giving Greece the right to double its territorial waters to 12 miles (19 kilometres) from Wednesday may heighten the possibility of conflict.
Turkey concedes Greece has the right to extend its waters, but maintains if it tries to enact those rights, Turkey would be locked out of the Aegean Sea. It says if this happens, it could lead to war.
Greece has avoided saying it will extend its waters, but insists it has the right to do so.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:29th November 1994 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None