- Title: POLAND/GERMANY: FLOODS CONTINUE TO CAUSE HAVOC IN EUROPE
- Date: 22nd July 1997
- Summary: KROSNO, POLAND (JULY 22, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. LV/SV OF FLOODED TOWN/ STREETS (4 SHOTS) 0.22 2. LV PEOPLE WADING THROUGH WATER (4 SHOTS) 0.40 3. LV PEOPLE IN WINDOW OF FLOODED HOUSE 0.44 4. CU DEAD ANIMAL IN WATER 0.48 5. LV FLOODED STREETS/SLV RESIDENTS (2 SHOTS) 1.02 6. MCU LOCAL RESIDENT SAYING THE AUTHORITIES HAVE DONE NOTHING. SHE NOTIFIED THEM A WEEK AGO AND THEY COULD HAVE HELPED BEFORE THE FLOODS CAME BUT NOTHING HAPPENED. NO SANDBAGS. NO HELP WHATSOEVER (POLISH) 1.20 7. SLV HOUSE SUBMERGED IN WATER 1.24 8. LV CAR BREAKDOWN LORRY DRIVING THROUGH FLOODS 1.30 CHERWIENSK, POLAND (JULY 22, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 9. LV REFUGE CENTRE FOR EVACUEES 1.36 10. LV PEOPLE SITTING ON STAIRS OF CENTRE 1.40 11. SLV CHILDREN PLAYING 1.46 12. SLV ROOM WITH BABY CLOTHES DRYING ON LINE 1.50 13. CU BABY SLEEPING 1.55 14. CU BABY CLOTHES DRYING ON LINE 1.58 15. CU BOXES OF FOOD SUPPLIES 2.04 16. CU CHILDREN WAITING FOR MEAL (2 SHOTS) 2.13 17. SV WOMEN PORTIONING FOOD 2.17 18. CU CHILD EATING 2.22 19. SV PEOPLE EATING 2.26 LASKI, POLAND (JULY 22, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 20. SV MAN IN ROWING BOAT IN FLOODED STREET 2.33 21. SLV ANOTHER MAN IN DINGHY PAN FLOODED STREET 2.42 22. PAN OF SUBMERGED HOUSES 2.54 FRANKFURT-AN-DER-ODER, GERMANY (JULY 23, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 23. LV/SLV FLOODING/ RESIDENTS SETTING UP SANDBAGS/ GERMAN ARMY SOLDIERS HELPING (4 SHOTS) 3.14 NEAR BRIESKOW-FINKENHEERD, GERMANY (JULY 23, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 24. SV PULL OUT LV OF DYKE BURSTING 3.27 25. SLV SOLDIERS RUNNING 3.35 26. LV BURSTING DYKE 3.50 27. LV OF GERMAN ARMY HELICOPTERS FLYING OVER BURST DYKE DROPPING SANDBAGS. (2 SHOTS) 4.11 Initials P3/2 S3 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVAE16TE4J3VRRIW1XPY5QQSJVRV
- Location: KROSNO, CHERWIENSK AND LASKI, POLAND/ BRIESKOW-FINKENHEERD AND FRANKFURT-AN-DER-ODER, GERMANY
- Country: EUROPE Poland Germany
- Duration: 00:04:07
- Story Text: As floods have continued to cause havoc in Europe there have been mass evacuations from towns and villages under threat. In Germany the River Oder on the German-Polish border has burst its banks.
In Poland thousands of people have lost their homes and are living in emergency centres. During the worst floods the country has seen this century 60 people have died.
Angry residents claim the authorities did nothing to help until it was too late.
Across the border the German army on Wednesday (July 23) struggled to contain the swollen River Oder as the first dyke burst sending waves of water crashing onto farmland.
Near the small town of Brieskow-Finkenheerd, military helicopters dropped sandbags over the burst dyke which was intended to contain the river's banks. Officals had ordered the area to be evacuated on Tuesday.
Hundreds of homes in the Oder region have been flooded, hit by power cuts and swamped by overflowing sewers. But so far Germany has escaped the loss of life that followed flooding in Poland and the Czech Republic where the death tolls have reached 100.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:6th August 1997 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None