BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA: BOSNIAN GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS BEGIN EXHUMING BODIES FROM A MASS GRAVE IN NORTH-EAST BOSNIA
- Title: BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA: BOSNIAN GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS BEGIN EXHUMING BODIES FROM A MASS GRAVE IN NORTH-EAST BOSNIA
- Date: 24th June 1996
- Summary: SREDNJE, NORTH-EAST OF SARAJEVO, BOSNIA (JUNE 24, 1996) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. LV/SV BURNT-OUT BUS IN WHICH VICTIMS OF JUNE 1992 MASSACRE WERE KILLED (4 SHOTS) 0.21 2. LV/SV IFOR WORKERS DIGGING UP AND REMOVING HUMAN REMAINS (4 SHOTS) 0.56 3. MCU SURVIVOR HODZIC IZET SAYING "WE PULLED THE MASSACRED BODIES FROM THE BUS AND BURIED THEM HERE (BOSNIAN) 1.18 4. LV/SV EXHUMATION CONTINUING (4 SHOTS) 1.46 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA26I1X9PATT4Y1HT3BHW4JITMY
- Location: SREDNJE, NORTH-EAST OF SARAJEVO, BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA
- Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Duration: 00:01:47
- Story Text: INTRO: Bosnian government officials began exhuming bodies from a mass grave in north-east Bosnia on Monday. The grave is thought to contain over 40 victims from the first mass execution of civilians in the Balkan conflict.
---------------------------------------------------------- In the latest mass grave exhumation, Bosnian government officials began investigating a grave in the small village of Srednje, north-east of Sarajevo on Monday (June 24).
The victims - civilians from the village of Ahatovici - were reported to have been loaded into a bus in June 1992 and taken to a remote area north-east of the Bosnian capital.
The civilians were, the report says, told to lie on the floor of the bus, then rebel Serbs fired anti-tank rockets, small arms and grenades into the bus, killing 48 Moslems.
The report says survivors later pulled the bodies out of the bus and buried them in a mass grave.
Under the guidance of the International Police Task Force and representatives of the Hague War Crimes Tribunal, the bodies will be exhumed and taken for identification before being buried in proper graves.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:9th July 1996 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None