- Title: MACEDONIA : 400 PRISONERS PROTEST FOR AN AMNESTY
- Date: 24th March 1995
- Summary: IDRIZOVO PRISON NEAR SKOPJE, MACEDONIA (MARCH 24, 1995) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SV OUTSIDE THE PRISON WALLS 0.13 2. SV PRISONERS ON THE ROOF OF THE PRISON, SHOUTING 0.30 3. SV PRISONERS WITH POSTERS ON PRISON ROOF 0.40 4. SV TOWERS 0.45 5. SV EXTERIOR PRISON 0.51 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVACIB5J5PG1FSHTGE5M3S916U5T
- Location: SKOPJE, MACEDONIA
- Country: Yugoslavia
- Duration: 00:00:55
- Story Text: Four hundred prisoners demanding an amnesty from the Macedonian government on Friday (March 24) occupied the roof of their jail near the capital Skopje.
They threw tiles, shouted their demands and waved banners reading: "This is a strike, not a rebellion." The inmates destroyed the contents of their cells, smashed windows and barricaded the entrances to their section of the Idrizovo prison before climbing on to the roof on Thursday afternoon.
They were protesting because the authorities broke with custom and did not offer them amnesties after parliamentary and presidential elections in 1994.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:8th April 1995 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None