CZECH REPUBLIC: FLOODWATERS RECEDE LEAVEING FRESH HEALTH THREAT AS MOSQUITOES BREED IN STAGNANT PONDS
- Title: CZECH REPUBLIC: FLOODWATERS RECEDE LEAVEING FRESH HEALTH THREAT AS MOSQUITOES BREED IN STAGNANT PONDS
- Date: 7th August 1997
- Summary: LITOVEL AREA, MORAVIA, CZECH REPUBLIC (7-8 AUGUST, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. WS DESTROYED HOUSES BEING REMOVED BY MECHANICAL DIGGER/ PEOPLE CARRYING AWAY DEBRIS 0.05 2. VARIOUS OF DEBRIS BEING REMOVED (3 SHOTS) 0.21 3. GV/SV STAGNANT POOL OF WATER WITH MOSQUITOES (2 SHOTS) 0.31 REZOVE, MORAVIA, CZECH REPUBLIC (7-8 AUGUST, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 4. SV/TRACK BREZOVE INHABITANT JAN VOZAB SAYING WHEN IT IS NOT WINDY YOU CANNOT SEE ANYTHING FOR THE MOSQUITOES (CZECH)/ VOZAB'S ARM WITH MOSQUITOES 0.40 6. SV UNNAMED MAN WITH MOSQUITOES AROUND HIS FACE 0.46 7. SV STAGNANT WATER WITH MOSQUITOES 0.52 LITOVEL, MORAVIA, CZECH REPUBLIC (7-8 AUGUST, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 8. SV RADOVAN VASICEK ASSISTANT MAYOR OF LITOVEL TOWN BRUSHING AWAY MOSQUITOES AND SAYING THEY ARE THINKING OF SPRAYING WITH AIRPLANES BUT THAT WILL ONLY COVER THE FLAT AREAS AND NOT THE FORESTS (CZECH) 1.09 9. LV STAGNANT WATER WITH MOSQUITOES 1.14 10. VARIOUS DESTROYED HOUSES/ DAMP ON OUTSIDE OF HOUSE/ MAN POINTING TO DAMP (3 SHOTS) 1.34 11. TRACK/SV DAMAGE TO THE INTERIOR OF HOUSES (3 SHOTS) 1.54 12 LV'S DESTROYED HOUSES (2 SHOTS) 2.02 OTROKOVICE, MORAVIA, CZECH REPUBLIC (7-8 AUGUST, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 13. EXT CHURCH IN OTROKOVICE TOWN 2.11 14. VARIOUS BOXES OF FOOD/CANS AND PACKETS OF FOOD BEING GIVEN OUT AT A CHURCH IN OTROKOVICE TOWN IN MORAVIA (8 SHOTS) 2.48 15. LV'S/PAN DAMAGE TO HOUSES IN OTROKOVICE TOWN (4 SHOTS) 3.10 Initials S3,P3 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA8OTCW9GVF3B9MYSZQY8SF2T0
- Location: BREZOVE, LITOVEL AND OTROKOVICE IN MORAVIA, CZECH REPUBLIC
- Country: EUROPE
- Duration: 00:03:11
- Story Text: INTRO: The people of Moravia are being plagued by mosquitoes because of of favourable breeding conditions following recent floods and the current hot weather in the Czech region.
As floods which killed 43 people and destroyed several homes recede, people are clearing away debris caused by the high waters and considering how to salvage what is left of their houses.
Flood victims in Otrokovice and other towns in Moravia are receiving food and other aid.
One after-effect of the floods has been an increase in mosquitoes breeding in stagnant water during the summer heat.
The mosquitoes are making life uncomfortable for some of the residents of Litovel.
Jan Vozab, an inhabitant of the village of Brezove, near Litovel, said when there is no wind the mosquitoes fill the air to such an extent that one cannot see anything.
Deputy mayor of Litovel said authorities were considering using airplanes to spray insect repellant, but expressed concern that such measures would not be able to effectively attack mosquitoes breeding grounds in wooded areas.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:22nd August 1997 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None