USA: CROWDS OF CIGAR SMOKERS LIGHT UP THEIR CIGARS IN A WASHINGTON PARK TO FLAUNT THEIR PASSION FOR THE HABIT
- Title: USA: CROWDS OF CIGAR SMOKERS LIGHT UP THEIR CIGARS IN A WASHINGTON PARK TO FLAUNT THEIR PASSION FOR THE HABIT
- Date: 1st March 1995
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., AND NEW YORK CITY, UNITED STATES (MARCH 1, 1995 AND RECENT) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) WASHINGTON, D.C. (MARCH 1, 1995) 1. GV/PAN HUNDREDS OF CIGAR SMOKERS GATHERED IN LAFAYETTE PARK ACROSS FROM THE WHITE HOUSE CU PLACARD "CASA BLANCA"/ZOOM-OUT TO. SMOKER PUFFING ON FAT CIGARS (4 SHOTS) 0.11 3. SV/VARIOUS OF SMOKERS PUFFING ON CIGARS (6 SHOTS) 0.31 4. GV/SV HUNDREDS OF CIGAR SMOKERS MARCHING TO THEIR DINNER OF STEAK, COGNAC AND SMOKE (2 SHOTS) 0.41 5. GV INT. SMOKERS GATHERED FOR CIGAR SMOKING DINNER 0.44 6. SV CIGAR SMOKERS INSPECTING CIGAR MERCHANDISE 0.50 7. SV A DISPLAY OF HAND-MADE ENGRAVED LIGHTERS SELLING FOR 15,000 UNITED STATES DOLLARS EACH 0.55 8. SV MAN HOLDING A PLATE OF FOOD AND A CIGAR 1.03 9. SV CIGAR SMOKERS POURING COGNAC AND OTHER DRINK 1.08 NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (RECENT) 10. CU MAN LIGHTING CIGAR IN "THE CIGAR BAR," A NEW YORK RESTAURANT DEVOTED TO THE PLEASURES OF SMOKE (2 SHOTS) 1.17 11. SV/ZOOM OUT SMOKERS IN THE CIGAR BAR (2 SHOTS) 1.24 12. CU/PAN MAN PUFFING ON A HUGE CIGAR THE LENGTH OF HIS FOREARM (2 SHOTS) 1.29 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA2J9JNYDUIH35PJMEW6XKRIRY2
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C. AND NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:01:29
- Story Text: Several hundred cigar smokers lit their cigars in Lafayette Park in Washington, D.C., United States on Wednesday (March 1) to flaunt their passion for the unhealthy habit and buck an anti-smoking trend that has relegated to the far corners of restaurants.
The smokers puffed their way around the park which faces the White House and then wnet to a local restaurant where they enjoyed Cognac, steaks high in cholesterol and cigars.
They realise smoking cigars is bad for their health. And they know most people dislike the smell. But cigar smokers say they are tired of being dispatched to the far corners of some restaurants, and not being allowed into other ones.
Cigar sales have increased steadily during the past few years, especially among new smokers in their twenties and thirties. And, latching on to the trend, a few establishments in New York and elsewhere have made a business of welcoming patrons to light up.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:16th March 1995 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None