- Title: ITALY: MOTOR RACING - NIKI LAUDA HOT FAVOURITE TO WIN ITALIAN GRAND PRIX.
- Date: 6th September 1975
- Summary: 1. GV main stand with spectators. 0.03 2. SV Ronnie Peterson in JPS leaving pits as Patrick Depailler has car checked. 0.19 3. GV Carlos Reutemann leaves pit. 0.21 4. SV Niki Lauda in car (2 shots). 0.34 5. SV Tilt up Carlos Pace in car in pits. 0.42 6. GV Jochen Mass leaves pits. 0.45 7. SV Tilt up James Hunt car being checked over. 0.51 8. SV Lella Lombardi in car in pits. 1.00 9. SV Zoom in to SCU Clay Regazzoni having car checked. 1.07 10. GVS cars round track (13 shots) 1.58 Initials MV/0145 Dayside/0045/0205 SPORT: MOTOR RACING Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA8OKU42XHKFIEPT555D8HHSCW8
- Location: MONZA, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Duration: 00:01:58
- Story Text: The Austrian driver, Niki Lauda, who will start in the pole position in the Italian Grand Prix at Monza, Italy, on Sunday (7 September), is the hot favourite to win and so clinch the World Drivers Championship. During practise on Friday and Saturday (5 - 6 September) he showed no sign of caution, and lowered the track record three times. On Saturday he set an all-time best lap record of one minute 32.24 seconds, for an average speed of 225.585 kph (134.436 mph) in his Ferrari.
More than 200,000 fans are expected at the circuit, mainly hoping for a win by the Italian Ferraris. Since Lauda shares the front now of the starting grid with Swiss team-mate, Clay Regazzoni, there is a good chance that Ferrari will win their first home grand prix since 1970.
Lauda needs only half a point from the remaining two grands prix, to give Ferrari their first World Championship title for eleven years. The only driver with a mathematical chance of beating him is Carlos Reutemann of Argentina. But he must win both the Italian and United States events with Lauda not finishing in the first six. Reutemann was only the seventh fastest during the practice on the Monza circuit.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:21st September 1975 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None