- Title: GREECE: FIRE ON ISLAND EVIA DESTROYS FOREST AND OLIVE GROVES
- Date: 2nd September 1995
- Summary: evia, GREECE (SEPTEMBER 2, 1995)(RTV - ACCESS ALL) (NIGHT VIEWS) 1. LV BLAZE / FLAMES OVER TREE TOPS (9 SHOTS) 0.54 2. SV FIRE ENGINE AT SCENE OF FIRE 0.56 3. SV FIRE FIGHTER HOSING DOWN FLAMES 1.02 4. SV FIRE FIGHTER AND ENGINE 1.06 5. SLV LOCALS AND FIRE FIGHTERS HOLDING WATER HOSE 1.11 6. SV LOCALS AND FIRE FIGHTERS HOSING DOWN FLAMES (3 SHOTS) 1.25 7. SLV THICK SMOKE ENGULFING FIRE ENGINE 1.31 8. SV BEE KEEPERS LOADING BEE HIVES ONTO TRUCKS / BEES (3 SHOTS) 1.46 9. LV TREES BURNING (2 SHOTS) 1.56 10.GENERAL VIEW OF FIRE 2.00 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA23TK9JR2S0SPVBR0LDGEL6IB5
- Location: EVIA, GREECE
- Country: Greece
- Duration: 00:02:03
- Story Text: A huge blaze on the Greek island Evia threatened villages and destroyed hundreds of acres of pine forest and olive groves on Saturday (September 2).
The blaze started in the afternoon and its front soon grew to 25-30 kilometres (15-18 miles) despite efforts to control it.
Strong winds fanned the flames.
About 30 fire engines, dozens of fire fighters and local residents struggled to keep the blaze away from three villages, where locals had prepared to evacute.
The winds subsided in the early morning hours on Sunday and the blaze was beginning to come under control. Firefighting planes were expected to arrive on Sunday morning.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:17th September 1995 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None