VENEZUELA MAKES A BID TO ENTER THE GUINNESS BOOK OF RECORDS AFTER A GROUP OF VENEZUELAN CHEFS COOK WHAT THEY...
- Title: VENEZUELA MAKES A BID TO ENTER THE GUINNESS BOOK OF RECORDS AFTER A GROUP OF VENEZUELAN CHEFS COOK WHAT THEY CLAIM IS THE BIGGEST EVER PAELLA
- Date: 8th March 1997
- Summary: CARACAS, VENEZUELA (MARCH 8, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SLV CHEFS WORKING ON LARGE PAELLA DISH 0.08 2. CU PAELLA DISH 0.15 3. SV PEOPLE WATCHING CHEFS 0.22 4. SLV CHEFS STIRRING PAELLA 0.31 5. SLV CHEFS ADDING MORE INGREDIENTS 0.42 6. SV PEOPLE WATCHING 0.48 7. SV CHEFS TASTING PAELLA 0.53 8. CU HEAD CHEF MANUEL HERRERA TALKING ABOUT WHY AND HOW THEY MADE THE PAELLA (SPANISH) 1.13 9. CU PAELLA BEING SERVED 1.27 10.SV OF CHEFS WORKING ON LARGE CAKE BAKED FOR DESSERT (5 SHOTS) 1.56 Initials S3/2 P3 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA48HAC8I9M01L97VO7QKRL7BJH
- Location: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- Duration: 00:01:58
- Story Text: INTRO: Venezuela made a bid to enter the Guinness Book of Records as the makers of the largest dish of the Spanish speciality, paella, ever made.
A group of Venezuelan chefs on Saturday (March 8) cooked what they claimed was the biggest ever paella -- a monster 3,750-pound (1,687.5 kgs) dish stuffed with rice, chicken and seafood.
It took the four cooks more than six hours to make the 1.7 ton Spanish speciality in a park in eastern Caracas as part of celebrations for World Rice Day.
"We are competing to see if we can get an entry in the Guinness Book of Records," head chef Manuel Herrera told Reuters as he sprinkled a final flourish of olive oil on his masterpiece.
Herrera said the chefs would send measurements and photographs of the paella -- which mesured nine feet three inches (2.8 metres) across and one foot (30 cms) deep -- to Guinness for verification.
According to the 1995 edition of the Guinness Book of Records the world's largest paella was baked in Valencia, Spain in March 1992. It had a diameter of more than 65 feet (19 metres) and fed 100,000 people.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:23rd March 1997 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None