- Title: FRANCE: SHEPHERDS LEAD THEIR SHEEP IN PROTEST AGAINST NATURE RESERVE WOLVES
- Date: 29th September 1997
- Summary: NICE, FRANCE (SEPTEMBER 29, 1997) (RTV) 1. SLV SHEEP ON THE "PROMENADE DES ANGLAIS" IN FRONT OF THE FASHIONABLE NEGRESCO HOTEL 0.04 2. SCU SHEEP 0.07 3. SLV SHEEP TROTTING ON THE PROMENADE 0.13 4. SLV FARMER HOLDING BANNER "LOUPS FOUORA D'AQUI" (WOLVES SHOULD DISAPPEAR) 0.18 5. SCU FARMER SAYING "LET'S GET RID OF THE WOLVES. LET'S LOCK THEM UP. WE HAD SEVEN SHEEP KILLED BUT SOME SHEPHERDS HAD SOME THIRTY OR FIFTY KILLED. WE ARE FED UP." (FRENCH) 0.36 6. SLV SHEEP WALK DOWN PROMENADE 0.42 7. MV SHEPHERDS WITH THEIR DOGS/ CU SHEEP (2 SHOTS) 0.52 8. MV WOMAN DEMONSTRATOR WEARING T-SHIRT "NO TO THE WOLF" 0.58 9. SLV MORE SHEEP TROTTING ON THE PROMENADE 1.07 10. CU BANNER "OUR BUSINESS IS TO FEED HUMANS, NOT WOLVES" 1.13 11. MAYOR ANDRE ASCHIERI SAYING "THE ECOLOGISTS SHOULD TAKE CARE OF HUMAN BEING BEFORE TAKING CARE OF ANIMALS. I AM IN FAVOUR OF THE COHABITATION BETWEEN THE WOLF AND THE SHEPHERDS BUT IF IT'S IMPOSSIBLE, I'LL CHOOSE THE SHEPHERDS" (FRENCH) 1.31 12. MV SHEPHERDS WITH THEIR SHEEP 1.38 13. LV SHEEP IN PLACE MASSENA 1.45 Initials S3 P3 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA1F4RNMEZVDDOIH4B912NP9TO0
- Location: NICE, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Duration: 00:01:47
- Story Text: - INTRO: Two thousand sheep have been herded along the French Riviera's most stylish seaside boulevard, in protest against the reintroduction of wolves into the nearby Mercantour nature reserve.
Local shepherds say the wolves have taken 2,000 sheep from their flocks in the last five years.
The sheep, their shepherds and about 3,000 supporters of the campaign strolled down the fashionable Promenade des Anglais in Nice on Monday (September 29) to draw attention to the loss of an estimated 2,000 sheep to wolves over the past five years.
"The wolves are threatening our mountain life, they must be removed," read one banner carried by the crowd beside the Mediterranean Riviera seafront.
Andre Aschieri, mayor of the small village of Mouans-Sartoux and member of the Greens party said "The ecologists should take care of human being before taking care of the animals. I am in favour of a cohabition between the wolf and the shepherds but if it's not possible, I am choosing the shepherds".
The demonstration ended in the Place Massena in central Nice, where shepherds tried to curry favour by grilling up some lamb steaks for passers-by.
Wolves were reintroduced into the protected Mercantour area in 1992, marking the start of an uneasy peace between the predators and the shepherds and farmers in the region.
Reserve authorities said about 20 wolves now ranged through the park in four packs. They said nine million francs (1.5 million U.S Dollars) would be spent in research over the next two years in search of ways to improve relations between the shepherds, their herds and the wolves.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:14th October 1997 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None