- Title: VENEZUELA: POPE JOHN PAUL II ARRIVES ON VISIT
- Date: 9th February 1996
- Summary: CARACAS, VENEZUELA (FEBRUARY 9, 1996) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. LV POPE JOHN PAUL'S PLANE ON TARMAC 0.05 2. SV/LV POPE DISEMBARKS (3 SHOTS) 0.16 3. LV POPE GREETED BY OFFICIALS 0.18 4. SLV POPE / LV MILITARY PARADE (2 SHOTS) 0.27 5. SV/LV POPE SPEAKS AT PODIUM (3 SHOTS) 0.42 6. SV POPE WALKING 0.47 7. LV POPE PARADES THROUGH STREETS IN POPEMOBILE (3 SHOTS) 1.05 8. LV LOCAL PEOPLE WAVE FROM BUILDING 1.09 9. SV POPE SPEAKS TO CROWDS (2 SHOTS) 1.22 10.LV NIGHT CROWDS AWAIT POPE 1.29 11.LV NIGHT POPE ARRIVES IN POPEMOBILE 1.34 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA42WZRZQSFPNIINLXAHXHMH726
- Location: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- Country: Venezuela LATIN AMERICA
- Duration: 00:01:36
- Story Text: Pope John Paul arrived in Venezuela on Friday (February 9)on the last leg of a week-long Latin American trip and appealed to authorities to make the country's notorious prison system more humane.
On his arrival at Caracas' Simon Bolivar airport, the Pope said he hoped Venezuela could overcome what he called the "difficult crisis" of recent years.
After three years of recession, Venezuela's economy is in a shambles and the oil-rich country bears little resemblance to the country the Pope saw on his first visit in 1985.
Along the 20-mile (32-km) mountain highway from the airport, thousands of people cheered and waved flags at the bullet-proof glass cage of the Venezuela-made "Popemobile".
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:24th February 1996 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None