- Title: USA: HISTORIC PAIR OF BLUE JEANS SOLD FOR 25,00O U.S. DOLLARS
- Date: 12th March 1997
- Summary: SAN FRANCISCO, UNITED STATES (MARCH 12, 1997) (RTV (A) - ACCESS ALL) 1. LV PEOPLE WEARING JEANS ON STREET (2 SHOTS) 0.08 2. SCU UNIDENTIFIED WOMAN SAYING JEANS ARE JUST COMFORTABLE TO WEAR AND LOOK GOOD ON EVERYBODY (ENGLISH) 0.12 3. MV SHOPFLOOR IN JEAN FACTORY /WORKERS MAKING JEANS (3 SHOTS) 0.23 4. SLV ZOOM OUT EXTERIOR LEVI SHOP 0.28 5. SCU UNIDENTIFIED LEVI STRAUSS SPOKESMAN SAYING THEY MAKE MORE BLUE JEANS NOW THAN EVER IN HISTORY. ANNUAL SALES LAST YEAR 7.1 BILLION DOLLARS (ENGLISH) 0.35 6. SLV/SCU OLD JEANS BEING DISPLAYED / WOMAN DESCRIBING SOME OF THE FEATURES (ENGLISH) (6 SHOTS) 1.05 7. SCU OLD PHOTOGRAPH OF PEOPLE WEARING JEANS 1.00 8. SCU OLD JEANS/WOMAN DESCRIBING FEATURES (4 SHOTS) 1.31 9. SCU LEVI JEANS ON DISPLAY 1.34 10. SCU PEOPLE LOOKING AT OLD JEANS 1.42 Initials S3/2 P2 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA8D5WQSOWZ84MVUXOMOF7KQKXB
- Location: SAN FRANCISCO, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:01:41
- Story Text: - INTRO: A pair of blue jeans, believed to be one of the oldest pairs in existence, have been sold in San Francisco for the tidy sum of 25,000 U.S. dollars.
The money was paid by history-conscious descendants of the original Levi Strauss jean makers in the city.
The New York Times newspaper said the pair of jeans was believed to be one of the two oldest in existence and had been in an inactive coal mine in Colorado and a vintage clothing store in New York's Soho district before Levi purchased them.
A leather patch on the waistband said the pair dates from 1886 to 1902, when Levi historian Lynn Downey believes they would have sold for about $1.25, the paper said.
The newspaper report report said the jeans would arrive in San Francisco on Wednesday where they will be kept in the Levi archives.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:27th March 1997 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None