- Title: GUATEMALA: PACAYA VOLCANO ERUPTS
- Date: 11th November 1996
- Summary: NEAR GUATEMALA CITY, GUATEMALA (NOVEMBER 11, 1996) (RTV ) NIGHT-SHOTS 1. LV VOLCANO SPEWING ASH AND LAVA. (4 SHOTS) 0.37 2. SCU EMERGENCY RESCUE SERVICES SPOKESPERSON DIONEL RIVAS SAYS THAT THEY HAVE EVACUATED 30 FAMILIES FROM 'EL POLLO' AND 9 FAMILIES FROM 'EL CARACOL' (SPANISH) 0.50 3. SV RIVAS WITH INTERVIEWER, LAVA IN BACKGROUND 0.56 4. CU RIVAS HOLDING PIECES OF LAVA 1.05 5. LV VOLCANO SPEWING ASH AND LAVA (3 SHOTS) 1.27 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA4TBA3RP2PW1M5EAQVW2D0UM3E
- Location: VOLCANO NEAR GUATEMALA CITY, GUATEMALA
- Country: Guatemala
- Duration: 00:01:34
- Story Text: INTRO: Villagers in Guatemala who were evacuated to safety when a nearby volcano erupted, returned to their homes on Tuesday.
Pacaya is an active volcano, just 24 miles (40 km) from the capital, and officials said Monday's spectacular eruption was the biggest they had seen in 9 years.
The evacuated villagers returned home on Tuesday (November 12) after a spectacular volcano eruption that spewed a two-mile (three km) high column of ash began to subside.
The national Emergency Committee said everything was quiet and that there was no state of alert.
All in all, about 100 villagers were evacuated on the night of the eruption, which was stronger than another one at the same volcano exactly one month earlier.
No one was injured in the blast.
Emergency rescue services spokesperson Dionel Rivas said 30 families from El Pollo had to be taken to safety and 9 families from El Caracol.
During the eruption, officials also placed other towns nearby on alert, said Colonel Oscar Guillermo Hernandez, head of the National Emergency Committee.
The 8,421-foot (2,552-meter) Pacaya is one of several active volcanos in Guatemala and it erupts regularly.
Just after midnight on Oct 11, the volcano erupted in its biggest explosion since 1987. A two-hour string of fiery explosions and molten lava flows were visible against the night sky from downtown Guatemala City.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:26th November 1996 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None