- Title: UK: BOEING'S NEW 777 BIG TWIN JET AIRLINER GOES UNDER MEDIA SPOTLIGHT.
- Date: 6th June 1995
- Summary: HEATHROW AIRPORT, LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM (JUNE 6, 1995) (REUTERS TELEVISION - ACCESS ALL) 1. SV SKETCHES OF NEW AIRLINER/GV UNITED AIRLINES NEWS CONFERENCE/REPORTERS (3 SHOTS) 0.15 2. GV/SV UNITED AIRLINES BOEING 777 ON TARMAC, ENGINE OF BOEING 777/SLV BRITISH MILITARY BAND PLAYS ON TARMAC (4 SHOTS) 0.39 3. SV AIRCRAFT TAXIIS (3 SHOTS) 0.52 4. LV PANS AIRCRAFT TAKES OFF 1.30 5. SV CABIN CREW SERVING MEAL TO PASSENGERS 1.39 6. SV CABIN INTERIOR SHOWING TV SCREENS IN BACK OF SEATS 1.42 7. SV PASSENGERS BEING SERVED LUNCH 1.48 8. SV/PAN PILOTS IN COCKPIT/PILOTS AT WORK (2 SHOTS) 1.59 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVADHKD42UPF7KGSEU42LT8E9IS6
- Location: HEATHROW AIRPORT, LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Duration: 00:01:59
- Story Text: Boeing Co's new 777
big twinjet airliner went under the media spotlight on Tuesday (June 6) at
London's Heathrow airport for a final preview flight before it embarks on its
maiden commercial service.
On Wednesday, travellers on United Airline's flight UA921 from London to
Washington become the first paying passengers to board the state-of-the-art jet,
which the industry estimates cost 5 billion (U.S.) dollars to develop.
United says the world's biggest-ever twinjet will cost little more than a
200-seat 767 to operate, due to greatly increased fuel efficiency.
Yet it will carry 50 per cent more passengers due to the unprecedented power of
the new engines -- whose intakes are so wide it has been estimated they could
swallow the fuselage of the "triple seven's" little sister the 737.
Boeing has 144 orders and 99 options from 15 customers for the initial 777-200 A
and B types and industry experts reckon they need sales of about 350 to break
even on the programme.
The cost of a 777 is around 120 million U.S. dollars, but airline sources say
United bought the plane at a discount as part of a "launch" purchase.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:21st June 1995 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None