- Title: USA: DOUGHNUT-EATING CONTEST FOR CHARITY
- Date: 28th March 1998
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (MARCH 27, 1998) (RTV --- ACCESS ALL) 1. SV OF DOUGHNUT-EATING CONTEST/MEDI (2 SHOTS) 0.14 2. MCU LEOTIS PAYNE (HEAVY MAN WEARING GREEN SHIRT) EATING DOUGHNUTS DURING CONTEST 0.25 3. SLV CHILDREN WATCHING 0.30 4. PAN/MCU OF OTHER WASHINGTON, D.C. LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS EATING DOUGHNUTS DURING THE CONTEST (2 SHOTS) 0.52 5. CU OF LEOTIS PAYNE EATING DURING THE FINAL MOMENTS OF LAST ROUND OF THE DOUGHNUT-EATING CONTEST, CLOWNS FROM RINGLING BROTHERS BARNUM AND BAILEY CIRCUS GATHER AROUND PAYNE 1.10 6. SV PEOPLE WATCHING 1.17 7. MCU ASKED IF HE WORRIES ABOUT MEDICAL WARNINGS THAT EXCESSIVE DOUGHNUT EATING IS UNHEALTHY, PAYNE SAYS: "WELL, YOU KNOW IN THIS DAY AND TIME, SCIENTISTS SAY A WHOLE LOT OF THINGS ARE NOT GOOD FOR YOU. AND YOU CAN'T CONFINE YOURSELF OR STOP EATING THINGS JUST BECAUSE SCIENTISTS SAY THEY'RE BAD. THEN YOU WOULDN'T BE EATING ANYTHING." (ENGLISH)/CLOWN FROM RINGLING BROTHERS OFFER PAYNE MORE DOUGHNUTS AND PAYNE RESUMES EATING 1.36 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA6OT86VQFUQ9EZ40Q2AY83IZQ9
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:01:36
- Story Text: A diet-busting doughnut-eating contest in Washington has seen police officers risking their waistlines to help raise money for local children's charities.
Prison guard Leotis Payne, aged 36, on Friday (March 27) beat his eight colleagues in the thirty-minute contest, sponsored by a visiting circus.
During the final run he waded through a mountain of about 20 doughnuts in two minutes.
Payne was not worried about his health, saying that it was impossible to follow everything that scientists said.
He added that he could get through "two or three boxes" of doughnuts at one sitting.
The contestants won hundreds of tickets to Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey Circus, which they will donate to the charities.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:12th April 1998 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None