- Title: PHILIPPINES: HEAVY RAINS WORSEN MUDFLOWS
- Date: 3rd June 1995
- Summary: PORAC, PAMPANGA, PHILIPPINES (JUNE 3, 1995) (REUTERS TELEVISION - ACCESS ALL) 1. SV MUDFLOWS 0.05 2. SV BULLDOZERS DUMP SAND IN ATTEMPT TO STEM MUDFLOWS 0.14 3. SV PEOPLE CROSSING IMPROVISED BRIDGE OVER MUDFLOWS 0.18 4. SV PEOPLE LOADING BIKE ONTO BRIDGE TO CROSS MUDFLOWS 0.23 5. SV MUDFLOWS 0.25 6. SV PEOPLE CROSSING MUDFLOWS 0.29 7. SV BOULDERS BEING WASHED AWAY BY MUDFLOW / MUDFLOWS 0.57 8. SV PEOPLE WATCHING 1.02 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA8PBKL7II5RU7FK4WKLYG07WJ9
- Location: PORAC, PAMPANGA, PHILIPPINES
- Duration: 00:01:03
- Story Text: Heavy rains have worsened mudflows from the slopes of the Mount Pinatubo volcano threatening the populated areas of Pampanga in the north of the Philippines.
Department of Public Works engineers used heavy equipment on Saturday (June 3) to pile up sand at a dike which is being continuously eroded by the cascading mudflows.
Hundreds of commuters were stranded when the road linking Angeles City and Porac in Pampanga was closed to vehicles when mudflows three to four feet high broke the banks of the heavily silted Pasig-Potrero river.
Mudflows have been a regular menace to communities around Pinatubo since it erupted in 1991 and dumped millions of tons of ash and debris on the volcano's flanks in one of the century's biggest volcanic blasts.
Heavy rains have loosened piles of debris and turned them into black, deadly rivers that have wiped out villages and killed scores of people in the past three years.
Despite the latest threat many residents have refused to leave.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:18th June 1995 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None