- Title: FRANCE: WORLD LEADERS GATHER IN LYON FOR ANNUAL G-7 SUMMIT
- Date: 26th June 1996
- Summary: LYON, FRANCE (JUNE 27, 1996) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) (JUNE 26) 1. SLV AIR FORCE ONE TAXIING ON TARMAC; FRENCH GUARD OF HONOUR 0.08 2. CU PRESIDENTIAL SEAL 0.12 3. SLV/LV UNITED STATES ( U.S.) PRESIDENT BILL CLINTON AND WIFE HILLARY WALKING DOWN STEPS (2 SHOTS) 0.17 4. SLV CLINTONS GREETED BY FRENCH OFFICIALS, INCLUDING DEFENCE MINISTER CHARLES MILLON 0.32 5. LV/SV CLINTON AND MILLON INSPECT GUARD OF HONOUR (3 SHOTS) 0.55 6. SLV CAR CARRYING CLINTONS LEAVES AIRPORT IN CONVOY 1.10 (JUNE 27) (POOL - ACCESS ALL) 7. LV/SV PLANE TAXIING (2 SHOTS) 1.17 8. SLV FRENCH PRESIDENT JACQUES CHIRAC ARRIVES AND SHAKES HANDS WITH OFFICIALS 1.31 9. LV/SV CHIRAC INSPECTS HONOUR GUARD (2 SHOTS) 1.40 10. SLV CHIRAC GETS INTO CAR AND DRIVES AWAY 2.02 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVAL2ZREEOYBIV2E1UE0DQV4HV8
- Location: LYON, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Duration: 00:02:25
- Story Text: INTRO: World leaders have gathered in Lyon for their annual summit, now dominated by the devastating bomb attack on United States soldiers in Saudi Arabia.
------------------------------------------------------------------ Leaders from the world's seven leading industrialised nations gathered on Thursday (June 27) to discuss the fight against terrorism and the troubled Middle East peace process.
United States (U.S.) President Bill Clinton arrived in the central French city of Lyon with his wife Hillary on Wednesday night.
The leaders were expected to focus on the breakneck pace of economic globalisation and its impact on jobs, welfare systems, financial markets and the developing world.
But Tuesday's truck bomb attack in Saudi Arabia, which killed 19 Americans and wounded almost 400 people, catapulted the fight against anti-Western guerrillas to the top of the three-day Group of Seven (G7) summit agenda.
Clinton arrived for the summit determined to win agreement from the leaders of Japan, Canada, France, Germany, Britain and Italy on new measures to isolate and track down bombers and gunmen.
Leaders from other G7 nations were due to arrive in Lyon on Thursday, starting the summit with a dinner.
The summit's host, French President Jacques Chirac,arrived Thursday morning.
The summit's economic declaration will be issued on Friday before Russian Prime Minister Viktor Chernomyrdin joins the other leaders for political talks. Russian President Boris Yeltsin had been due to attend but stayed home because he faces the final runoff in presidential elections on July 3.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:11th July 1996 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None