- Title: MIDEAST: Israeli troops kill seven Palestinians in West Bank violence.
- Date: 15th May 2006
- Summary: (BN12) QABATIYA, NEAR JENIN, WEST BANK (MAY 14, 2006) (REUTERS) PALESTINIANS GATHERED IN EMERGENCY ROOM, AROUND BODY OF ONE OF THE MEN KILLED BY ISRAELI TROOPS DURING RAID; WOMEN CRYING NEAR BODY; MORE OF PEOPLE NEAR BODY; MEN LOOKING AT THREE BODIES IN MORGUE; MAN KISSING BODY; WOMAN KISSING BODY; MORE OF PEOPLE IN MORGUE (8 SHOTS)
- Embargoed: 30th May 2006 13:00
- Reuters ID: LVA6NCKGREA3E3SMKD5E4PIIH53H
- Story Text: Violence flared in the West Bank as Israeli troops killed seven Palestinians on Sunday (May 14) in two separate raids, medics said. It was the worst day of violence in weeks in the occupied West Bank.
Palestinian medics said four gunmen from the Islamic Jihad militant group were killed in an exchange of fire with Israeli soldiers in the town of Qabatiya, near Jenin. Two other civilians were killed in the raid, they said.
Israeli media said one of the militants killed was suspected of involvement in a mid-April suicide bombing in Tel Aviv that killed eleven people and had been the worst such attack in Israel in two years.
Two of the dead militants were brothers, medics said.
The Israeli army had no immediate comment on the raid in Qabatiyeh.
In a separate incident, troops shot dead a Palestinian intelligence officer in the West Bank town of Jenin.
An Israeli military spokeswoman said soldiers in Jenin exchanged fire with gunmen during a raid to detain wanted militants. She said the troops reported one Palestinian was hit by gunfire, but could not confirm he was killed.
Palestinian sources said the soldiers shot dead Ali Omar Jabarin, a 21-year-old intelligence officer, and wounded four of his colleagues during a gunbattle at their Jenin headquarters.
The death toll was the worst for a single day since Israel killed eight militants in a Gaza air raid on April 8.
Israel mounts frequent military raids in the West Bank against suspected militants. Some members of the Palestinian security forces also belong to armed groups behind attacks on Israelis.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None