- Title: GEORGIA: GEORGIAN MAN LIFTS 55 KILOS USING EARS, SMASHES WORLD RECORD.
- Date: 30th October 2003
- Summary: (EU) TBILISI, GEORGIA (OCTOBER 29, 2003) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. CROWD STANDING AROUND LASHA PATARAIA, MR. MUSCLE EARS 2. PATARAIA PLACES ROPE ATTACHED TO A VAN TO HIS EARS 3. PATARAIA PULLS VAN / PHOTOGRAPHERS / PATARAIA PULLING VAN 4. PATARAIA TAKES ROPE OFF EARS, PEOPLE APPLAUD 5. CROWD CONGRATULATES PATARAIA 6. PATARAIA PUTS ROPE ON WEIGHTS, PLACES ROPE OVER HIS EARS 7. PATARAIA LIFTS UP WEIGHTS WITH HIS EARS, HOLDS WEIGHTS, PLACES WEIGHTS DOWN 8. MAN SHOWING STOPWATCH READING 19:9 SECONDS 9. FRIENDS CONGRATULATING PATARAIA 10. (SOUNDBITE) (Georgian) MR MUSCLE EARS, LASHA PATARAIA, SAYING: "I dedicate this record to myself, my friends, and my family. But, yes, of course, to my party Agordzeneba. This was the only party that supported me so I am with them. And I support them." 11. PATARAIA AND SUPPORTERS Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 14th November 2003 12:00
- Location: TBILISI, GEORGIA
- Country: Georgia
- Reuters ID: LVA4H2JLQ96FBR5V7DLXW3B4XZ6A
- Story Text: Georgian man uses his ears to lift more than 55
kilos, smashing world record.
Georgian Lasha Pataraia [PRON: pa-ta-rye-ee-ah]
has become the top contender for the title of world-champion
Mr. Muscle Ears.
The 23-year-old amateur wrestler from the ex-Soviet
Georgia amazed a crowd of friends and supporters by pulling
a delivery van with his ears for a distance of more than 8
But this was only the warm-up.
Pataraia then beat the current Guinness World Record
title for Mr. Muscle Ears by lifting 55.5 kilograms for and
holding it for total of 19.9 seconds.
Pataraia's ears of steel smashed the previous record
held by Chinese Li Dzuan Hua, who lifted 50 kilograms by
his ears for 9.3 seconds.
But the Georgian strongman's ambitions didn't stop here.
Just like newly elected Californian governor Arnold
Schwarzenegger, Lasha Pataraia is using his brawn for
He is a member of Gerogia's Agordzeneba party - the
Union of Democratic Revival - which hopes to gain control
of parliament in upcoming Georgian parliamentary elections
on November 2.
"I dedicate this record to myself, my friends, and my
family. But, yes, of course, to my party Agordzeneba. This
was the only party that supported me so I am with them.
And I support them," said Pataraia.
No plans yet, however, for Mr. Muscle Ears to put his
own name in as top political party leader -- but he says he
will always be ready to lend an ear for his cause.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None