- Title: SPAIN: Madrid celebrates baby crawling contest
- Date: 17th December 2007
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) CELIA'S MUM, MARILUZ, SAYING: "She is a true champ -she saw the guiding toy and threw herself into the contest?"
- Embargoed: 1st January 2008 12:00
- Location: Spain
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVA5HKPIPQL3W61M61ERYNVYP2VC
- Story Text: Toddlers put their crawling skills to the test in Madrid.
Dozens of little crawling kings and queens demonstrated their crawling skills in Madrid on Thursday (December 13).
A crawling contest welcoming children from 9 months to 3 years tested balance, speed and last but not least their mothers' ability to have them focused on a guiding rabbit-toy all the way up to the finishing line.
Certainly, a lot was at stake: toys, every kid's price par excellence.
The successful creeper took home a pile of playthings, a coveted Christmas reward.
In perfect gender equity, two baby girls and two baby boys made the semi-finals -the little males however prevailed and two-year-olds Leonardo and Alejandro faced-off in a hard fought final.
Although for semi-finalist Celia's mum, she is and always will be a winner.
"She is a true champ -she saw the guiding toy and threw herself into the contest?," said Mariluz.
As runner-up Leonardo found comfort in his mum's arms, an exhausted Alejandro refused to give any victory speeches.
Small doses of frustration were found also among the public. "My name is Carlos and I like to race. I'd love to participate," said a five-year-old banned from the contest who wants to race cars or be a sprinter when he grows old.
Just a matter of time until some of these little hopefuls make the olympics.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains identifiable children: users must ensure that they comply with local laws and regulations governing the publishing of this material.