- Title: SERBIA: Serbia celebrates egg cracking festival
- Date: 28th April 2008
- Summary: WINE SELLER IN TRADITIONAL COSTUME DRINKING GLASS OF WINE
- Embargoed: 13th May 2008 13:00
- Location: Serbia
- Country: Serbia
- Topics: International Relations,Religion
- Reuters ID: LVA808CEDQ04V8HD3CEIHCEDWPNS
- Story Text: People in Serbian village of Mokrin celebrate Easter by taking part in the international egg striking competition.
Easter holidays are Serbia's most respected religious event, traditionally celebrated with family gatherings and painting of Easter eggs.
In Serbia among a number of customs which follow this holiday, braking of Easter eggs is the most interesting and anxiously expected one.
Some 8,000 people, supplied with 300,000 hard-boiled eggs, gathered in the village of Mokrin for an egg-cracking tournament. People take turns tapping their eggs against those of others and the person whoup with the last unbroken egg is believed to have a year of good luck.
Established in 1919 small village of Mokrin became well known in the region with egg cracking tournament. Wining a festival is mark of honour for the farmers, they also show off the quality of there products.
At the end of the competition referee and the winner has to eat the egg as a proof that the egg is natural.
Fourth time winner Miodrag Prodanovic said," You have to understand the egg. You need a lot of luck and to work years by years and than success will come by its self."
"I didn't look around in other farms. I've checked in my yard some more then five hundred eggs," Prodanovic added.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.