- Title: SINGAPORE: Two Chinese workers in Singapore sit-in on cranes in wage protest
- Date: 6th December 2012
- Summary: SINGAPORE (DECEMBER 6, 2012) (REUTERS) VIEW OF TWO CRANES, WHERE PROTEST IS TAKING PLACE ONE WORKER IN CRANE CRANE ONE WORKER WALKING IN CRANE OTHER WORKER IN CRANE TWO CRANES WORKER PACING IN CRANE POLICE GATHERED BELOW CRANES ITEM BEING SENT UP TO WORKER TWO CRANES VARIOUS OF WORKER BEING ESCORTED DOWN SINGAPORE CIVIL DEFENCE FORCE GATHERED VARIOUS OF WORKER WALKING INTO SHELTER OTHER WORKER IN RED CRANE MEDIA FILMING WORKER SITTING TWO CRANES/LIGHTNING AND THUNDER VARIOUS OF SECOND WORKER CLIMBING DOWN CRANE VARIOUS OF WORKER AND AUTHORITIES WALKING INTO SHELTER
- Embargoed: 21st December 2012 12:00
- Location: Singapore
- Country: Singapore
- Topics: Business,Economy,Employment
- Reuters ID: LVA1N1QNPFLCYU1FPBB2W25Q4XRM
- Story Text: Two mainland Chinese workers staged a sit-in on top of two cranes in Singapore on Thursday (December 6), in what authorities believe was a protest over a wage dispute, local media said.
Police said they were notified about the incident at about 6:35 am (2235 GMT) on Wednesday (December 5) in the morning.
The first worker agreed to climb down from the crane, about 10 storeys high, at about 2:40 pm, (0640 GMT) escorted by Singapore Civil Defense Force.
The second worker descended the crane at 4:10 pm (0810 GMT) minutes before heavy rain started pouring.
The protest came as four mainland Chinese workers attend a court hearing to face charges of inciting a strike that included dozens of drivers last week.
Labour unrest and ethnic differences are both sensitive issues on the island state which depends on migrant foreign workers to do many low-paid jobs.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None