- Title: German ship disembarks 1,100 rescued migrants in Catania, Sicily
- Date: 17th April 2017
- Summary: CATANIA, ITALY (APRIL 17, 2017) (REUTERS) GERMAN SHIP TENDER RHEIN AT CATANIA PORT, WITH MIGRANTS ON BOARD MIGRANTS SEATED ON DECK OF SHIP MIGRANTS AND EMERGENCY WORKERS ON PROW OF SHIP SHIP AT PORT MIGRANTS ON DECK OF SHIP WAITING TO DISEMBARK MIGRANTS QUEUING UP NEAR GANGWAY SHIP AT PORT YOUNG MIGRANT MEN ON DECK WAITING TO DISEMBARK EMERGENCY WORKERS AND MIGRANTS ON SHIP (SOUNDBITE) (English) PUBLIC AFFAIRS OFFICER FOR GERMAN SHIP TENDER RHEIN, LT. TINO, SAYING: "The first mission we rescued 124 persons from a rubber boat, afterwards we rescued 334 persons from another rubber boat and a wooden boat. And after we finished our rescue missions we transferred 728 persons from two NGO ships to our ship, so altogether we rescued 1,181 persons from distress and it took us 14 hours to do that." YOUNG MIGRANT MEN ON SHIP (SOUNDBITE) (English) PUBLIC AFFAIRS OFFICER FOR GERMAN SHIP TENDER RHEIN, LT. TINO, SAYING: "Altogether we have 998 persons who are male, we have 183 who are female, 8 of them are pregnant and 428 persons are under 18 years of age." VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS AND EMERGENCY WORKERS ON SHIP WAITING TO DISEMBARK VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS DISEMBARKING FROM SHIP EMERGENCY MEDICAL TENT ON QUAYSIDE WOMAN CARRYING BABY CLIMBING ONTO BUS AT PORT BUS ON QUAYSIDE IN FRONT OF SHIP AT PORT MEDICAL WORKERS CONDUCTING MEDICAL CHECKS AT PORT EMERGENCY WORKERS CARRYING SUPPLIES ONBOARD SHIP MIGRANTS WAITING TO DISEMBARK FROM SHIP EMERGENCY WORKERS BY BUS / MIGRANT ENTERING BUS MIGRANTS DISEMBARKING FROM SHIP YOUNG MIGRANTS ON DECK MIGRANT WOMEN DISEMBARKING EMERGENCY WORKERS TAKING I.D. PHOTOGRAPHS OF MIGRANTS YOUNG MIGRANTS SEATED ON DECK BEHIND WIRE FENCE MIGRANT WOMEN SEATED ON DECK SHIP DOCKED AT PORT
- Embargoed: 1st May 2017 13:54
- Keywords: Catania Sicily migrants refugees coast guard Libya Mediterranean
- Location: CATANIA, ITALY
- City: CATANIA, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016CSDGEF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Federal German Ship Tender Rhein brought 1,181 migrants safely to port in Catania, Sicily on Monday (April 17) after rescuing them from unseaworthy boats that were adrift 20 miles from the coast of Libya.
The Italian coast guard said that they had coordinated numerous rescue operations over the Easter weekend, with some 6,500 people as well as eight bodies brought on board a range of rescue ships.
The Tender Rhein is part of the EU Naval force 'Operation Sofia' that was set up to fight people smuggling in the south-central Mediterranean.
According to the International Organisation for Migration, nearly 800 migrants have died or are missing trying to cross the Mediterranean this year.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None