- Title: Russia says hopes US will not act unilaterally against North Korea
- Date: 17th April 2017
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (APRIL 17, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTRY VENUE RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTER SERGEI LAVROV AND HIS SENEGALESE COUNTERPART MANKEUR NDIAYE ARRIVING FOR NEWS CONFERENCE MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTER, SERGEI LAVROV, SAYING: "If the expression used by the U.S. President can be interpreted as a threat of unilateral use of force - then it is an extremely risky path. We do not accept reckless nuclear actions by Pyongyang, which violate multiple U.N. Security Council resolutions. But this does not mean that it is possible to violate international law in the same way through the use of force in violation of the U.N. charter. I really hope that unilateral actions of the kind we've recently seen in Syria will not happen." LAVROV AND NDIAYE AT NEWS CONFERENCE VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF FOREIGN MINISTRY VENUE
- Embargoed: 1st May 2017 12:36
- Keywords: North Korea U.S. nuclear Lavrov Trump
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016CSEB7R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Monday (April 17) that Moscow could not accept North Korea's "reckless nuclear actions" but said he hoped the United States would not take any unilateral action against Pyongyang.
Lavrov warned against anyone responding to North Korea's behaviour by violating international law.
He also said that Russia was ready to restore relations with Washington and would judge U.S. President Donald Trump's readiness to do the same by his statements.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None