- Title: USA: Exclusive concert footage of Peter Frampton to be aired on U.S. television
- Date: 27th July 2010
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK UNITED STATES (JULY 26, 2010) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) BILL SAGAN, CEO OF WOLFGANG'S VAULT, SAYING: "This is the first time a multi-track, a multi-camera recording, color, has ever come out of the full concert and it truly is a piece of music history."
- Embargoed: 11th August 2010 13:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment / Showbiz,Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVAAGER7219ZBZTL97X1F3ODB4R1
- Story Text: For the first time exclusive concert footage of rocker Peter Frampton in his heyday will air in a special series on public television in the U.S. The concert was filmed in San Francisco on July 2, 1977 and is part of legendary promoter Bill Graham's archive.
The archive was purchased by Wolfgang's Vault, a company that digitally remastered and restored the footage.
The show captures Frampton at the height of the fan frenzy that followed his record-breaking 1976 album "Frampton Comes Alive," which made him a household name and remains one of the top-selling live albums of all time. His charismatic performance features hits "Baby I Love Your Way," "Show Me the Way" and "Do You Feel Like We Do."
In an interview, Frampton recalled the concert series and what it was like working with Graham.
"Somehow San Francisco was always just a little bit ahead, it seemed like they discovered us or something. And so when "Frampton Comes Alive" was breaking, we got to play a couple of these Days on the Green concerts you know supporting other people and then it just kept and "Frampton Comes Alive" came out and bingo everything went off the charts as it were, or on the charts, up the charts and so then there was the concert that we're going to see and that's you know with everybody there. So it was, playing for Bill Graham in San Francisco It didn't matter if it was at Winterland where "It comes Alive" was recorded, Fillmore West with Humble Pie, or It was Day on the Green in Oakland Stadium. He was the promoter's promoter and he wrote the book on how to do a good show."
CEO of Wolfgang's Vault, Bill Sagan, said the performance is unique in that it gives insight into the magic that Frampton created on stage.
"This is the first time a multi-track, a multi-camera recording, color, has ever come out of the full concert and it truly is a piece of music history," Sagan said.
The concert also features a performance by Lynyrd Skynrd, which showcases the band just three-and-a-half months before the tragic plane crash that took the lives of lead vocalist Ronnie Van Zant, guitarist/vocalist Steve Gaines and his sister, backing vocalist Cassie Gaines of the Honkettes.
"Wolfgang's Vault Presents Day on the Green 1977," is part of WLIW21 and WNET.ORG's Public Television Rocks! initiative. The special series will air on July 26, 2010 and will also be available for purchase on DVD.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None