- Title: JERUSALEM: Muslims, Christians and Jews create human peace pyramid
- Date: 6th January 2006
- Summary: (L!3) JERUSALEM (DECEMBER 30, 2005) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CHRISTIAN, MUSLIM AND JEWISH CHILDREN TRAINING TO FORM HUMAN PYRAMID VARIOUS OF CHILDREN CLIMBING ON EACH OTHER GUIDE INSTRUCTING PARTICIPANTS TO CREATE HUMAN TOWER PARTICIPANTS HOLDING EACH OTHER (SOUNDBITE) (English) KARMI WORDMAN, VOLUNTEER AT JERUSALEM CIRCUS: "This event is to celebrate all the three holidays now for Judaism, Christianity and Islam and 'team towers' from Barcelona decided to come and to do something special with the children of Jerusalem and we are having a good time." VARIOUS OF CHILDREN MARCHING INTO SPORTS HALL VARIOUS OF CHILDREN STRETCHING CLOTHES TO BE TIED TO EACH OTHER CROWD WATCHING PARTICIPANTS ROTATING, CREATING HUMAN PYRAMID PARTICIPANTS EMBRACING EACH OTHER TO SUPPORT HUMAN STRUCTURE VARIOUS OF PARTICIPANTS FORMING HUMAN TOWER VARIOUS OF HUMAN TOWER (SOUNDBITE) (English) ELISHEVA YORTNER, MANAGER OF JERUSALEM CIRCUS "This tower is a symbol of being together, sharing together and it is a gift from us to all the kids of Israel, of Palestine, of of Lebanon, of Syria, of Jordan and of Egypt and all over the world. We want to be together and that is a symbol." PARTICIPANTS SITED FOR GROUP PHOTO, CHEERING
- Embargoed: 21st January 2006 12:00
- Topics: Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVAEJQ5S1O5Z408V3U7OCKWRSA6B
- Story Text: 150 Christian, Muslim and Jewish Israeli children gathered in Jerusalem on Friday (December 30) to create a multi - religion human pyramid.
The children who gathered at early morning to prepare for the athletic challenge are members of 'The Jerusalem Circus' - a non profit organisation that is working to create a dialogue between Jews, Christians and Muslims in Israel.
To the instructions of their trainer, the 150 children began climbing each other, creating the first Israeli - multi religion human pyramid.
Organisers said that human pyramids are 250 year old tradition originally began in Catalonia, and that it is one of the best ways to create a feeling of a joint mission and cooperation between people.
Friday's pyramid was a project organised to mark the three religions' parallel holidays - Christmas for Christians, Id al-Adaha for Muslims and Hanukkah for Jews, and children of all three religions residing in Jerusalem took part in it.
Elisheva Yortner, the Jerusalem Circus founder and director told Reuters Television that the creation of the human pyramid requires cooperation, many joint training and a lot of mutual trust, and therefor is seen by the organisers as a tool to achieve real peace between peoples.
"This tower is a symbol of being together, sharing together and it is a gift from us to all the kids of Israel, of Palestine, of of Lebanon, of Syria, of Jordan and of Egypt and all over the world. We want to be together and that is a symbol," she said.
The crowd clapped and cheered as the pyramid was set, and participants looked as if they were enjoying every second of their strange positions.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: please see Business Notes for more information.